Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fellow string makers? >

Fellow string makers?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fellow string makers?

Old 01-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default Fellow string makers?

I have a question for you guys that make strings,I make them also.My question is this;if you don't have the individual bow on hand and have not seen the bow,and know the string length/legths and bus cable length,how do you know how many inches of end serving to put on, as well as protective serving that you would use on a bow like the Mathews switchback?I'll be making a string for a buds switchback and had him bring it by last week.I made all the measurements and will be building his string hopefully this week.I couldn't believe how long the serving was that protects the length of string/cable that passes the rollers.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:23 AM

Default RE: Fellow string makers?

I've never made a string for mailorder, but I can guess that it's fairly simple to keep a notebook on particular manufacturers strings and how to build them. I've noticed all the strings I've bought in the past, had more serving than needed. It's probably common to add a few inches to the minimum amount needed, to cover any unexpected variables with a given bow.

One reason I like to make my own, is that I can stop the serving exactly where it leaves the cam. I don't care for the look of lots of serving, though some people do. I've had friends who wanted the serving to stick out a couple inches when I made a string for them.

I must admit, the first time I made a cable for a roller-guard bow, I didn't like the results. The serving covered most of the pretty cable I just made.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah I'm with you on that straightarrow,for my bows I generaly serve just past the cams also.I keep a log of how long I serve certain strings and various measurments,as well as how many twist I put into strings.How much longer do you start a string over the manufactured spec,to allow for twists?I will generally make them 1/4" longer and twist to manufactured spec.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:20 AM

drstalker, if you ever need any dimensions or serving layouts just pm me. besides that, if your quick in the noggin', you can figure out some formulas to use w/ each manufacturer that will tell you where everything goes w/out ever seeing the bow in most cases. i'm not getting up off of those though. and don't make those sb strings and cables the advertised lengths. if you need the real finished lengths pm me.

OH YEAH, before we get in a pee pee match straightarrow - i've been thinking about you and your string making - and thought i'd let you know if you ever need a job - i've got one for you. i'm sure you don't need it - but if you ever do...
Old 01-16-2007, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

That sounds good Giblet,I'll do that.Thank's.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:10 AM

How much longer do you start a string over the manufactured spec,to allow for twists?I will generally make them 1/4" longer and twist to manufactured spec.
I generally set my jig to the finished length I'm looking for. I can put my jig under great pressure (I've gone as high as around 600 lbs of tension). This will take the creep out of a string, so that it ends up the length I want with the amount of twist I like to put in. The advantage with this, is there is no break-in period for the string. If I was make them under low tension, I'd probably make them a 1/4" short, so after the break-in period, I didn't have to add too many twists.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

Straightarrow,what kind of jig do you use,I know some guys (as well as a local shop) use homeade jigs,mine is an Apple with an extentsion block both mounted on a 2x12 plank.I kind of wish I back when I bought mine I would have done a little more research andd bought one with wider,taller posts.Oh well live and learn,I still get pretty darn good strings.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:39 AM

Straightarrow,what kind of jig do you use,
I had one custom made by a local machinist. I was lucky. He is a friend and had some extra material that he didn't charge me for. He built it like a tank. I've never seen a commercial jig that even approaches this one's strength. It's actually way overbuilt. It's great for putting strings under as much tension as I want.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've gone as far as even looked at a picture of the bow, and visually measured the string. When thats the case, I will over serve. This is mostly done on older bows, its next to impossible with a single cam.

PM sent Gibblet.

I made my own string jig out of two 2 x 6's. It works quite well.

2- 6' 2 x 6's

All bolt heads/nuts are 1/2" so one wrench adjusts everything

This jig and all of my stuff ended up getting stolen last year, so I re-made them the same, except I used thinner bolt shafts. I think either 1/4" or 3/8"

The bolt heads are embedded into the wood to make turning for making end loops easier. I use 4 C clamps to hold the jig in place while making a string.

I have a bunch more pictures of them on my computer, let me know if you need more, Its a pain uploading pics on dial up if they arent needed.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Josh that is fantastic!!Imay have to replicate what you did.Nice job.

Quick Reply: Fellow string makers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.