Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Blazer advantage? >

Blazer advantage?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blazer advantage?

Old 01-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Spike

Default Blazer advantage?

I've been out of the bow hunting scene for the last 6 years and I'm getting back in. I'm looking at many different bows, sights, rests, etc. I've been reading here about blazers. What is their advantage over the old style fletching?
Old 01-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Blazer advantage?

Tougher andseem to stabilize broadheads.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:03 PM

I'm just gonna save this reply on speed post.....[8D]

1. Unlike feathers, Blazers don't care how wet they get, they will work just as well.

2. They weigh a few grains less than 4" vanes.

3. They stabilize broadheads and fieldpoints just as good, and IMO, a little bit better.

4. They are more rigid and durable, especially when shot through a Whisker Buscuit.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're going to shoot vanes then mobow is correct the blazers do have an advantage. I'm personally still not convinced that they perform BETTER than feathers.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:01 PM

dwd, they don't, but they do perform just as well....They only have feathers beat if it's rainin.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Unless your fletching comes into slight contact with a twig or something on the way to its target... then the feathers are far more forgiving. And the Blazers don't look as cool... [8D]

Forgive us, jrjr... we're having fun by re-typing our positions here that we've all espoused many times...
Old 01-15-2007, 07:25 PM

Uhhh......espoused?? Is that like....an electronic spouse or something??

I actually would still be shooting feathers, and may go back, if I would just stay home when it rains. Oh, I'm gonna learn how to dip and crest as well...so feathers will be making a come back.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

You got that link to my instructional thread on capping and cresting? If not, a quick search using "instructional" and "cresting" as key words should pull it up after putting me in the user name box...

It's a ton of fun, and way inexpensive if you do it like I show on that thread.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Banned

I used to shoot feathers for years until switching to Blazers. Two more places Blazers shine over feathers is 1. Downrange past 35-50 yds, less drop in arrow speed, feathers start dying at these ranges. 2. Noise, feathers are noisey and it is conceiveable that an animal could hear a feathered arrow coming at them and jump or duck the arrow. While this isn't as huge factor, you can sure hear them coming if you have one whiz by you from a protected place to observe.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since you brought it up, Don...

Independent tests by bow testing authority Norb Mullaney have shown that a feather fletched arrow is still traveling 4 ft./sec. faster than plastic fletch, 29 yards down range. At all normal hunting ranges, feather fletched arrows travel faster, drop less, and arrive sooner than plastic fletched arrows.

Further tests by Dave Holt showed that the feather fletched arrow was faster than the identical plastic fletched arrow out to 41 yards. The feather fletched arrow then matched the plastic fletched arrow out to 61 yards (the limit of the test range). Through out the 61 yard range, the feather fletched arrow arrived at each distance in less time than the vane fletched arrow.

I've seen Len report the same findings from his own independent tests on here as well.

How's that ankle feelin', anyway?

Quick Reply: Blazer advantage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.