Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Jo Jan

Old 01-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default Jo Jan

Anyone here use one or know anything about them? I have a couple of questions.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 01-14-2007, 03:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Jo Jan

Who -

I use Jo Jan fletchers exclusively.

What are your questions?

Old 01-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ask away. I used to own a Jo Jan Multi Fletcher but traded it to a guy for another Bitz (much better jig, IMO).
Old 01-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Thanks
Here are my questions,
1. I went to the Jo Jan website to look for instructions but it just gave som general info. I need to know how to line up the nock and the cock feather. There are 4 indentations on the dial that turns the arrow shaft and one more that is above those. I just was looking at this dial and found that it slides up and there are 3 more indentations that are spaced different so one end is for 4 feathers and the other is for 3. What does the single indentation do?
2. This is very hard to turn even after I cleaned it , should it be that tight?
3. Now up to where the shaft rest at the top. There is a rest that has a v on each end that is attached to the rest with a screw. How do you adjust this? Just right center and left? There are no markings to show how far you turn this. Also is there a reason for the other v?
4. Now to the clamp. Should there be markings on this to show distance or where to place the fletching?

Thanks again
Rick
Old 01-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

First of all, what orientation is your cock vane and how many vanes / feathers do you use?That determines which end of the receiver you use and where your cock vane is located.

If you are using three vanes, the cock vane position is the first to be determined. If you shoot cock vane up or down, then place a nocked shaft in the jig with the nock groove in a vertical position with the three indentations of the nock receivertoward the main body of the fletcher. Look into the end of the receiver that you will place your arrow nock into and verify that the "V" of the internal locator is vertical. If you shoot cock vane out, (left or right), make sure the "V" is postioned accordingly. The "V" locator will then be in a horizontal position. And you will see the middle indentation facing UP.

That process sets your cock vane position and I always mark thereceiver with a paint mark in the centerindentationof the receiver.

The clamps can be marked to locate the vanes at therear end of the clamp inthe same location using a Sharpie permanent marker. Once this is done, I place a 1"-1 1/2" wide piece ofclear packaging tape the entire length of each side of the clamp jaws. This protects the mark and the clamps from fletching adhesives.

The adjustment of the shaft rest: I set the v shaft rest at the TOP of the fletcher slightly to the left when viewed from the back (nock side of the fletcher). On both the Mono- and the Multi-Fletcher you can also shift the block that the nock receiver fits into, always a slight bit in the opposite direction of the front v shaft rest. This gives an offset vane if you are using a straight clamp.

If you fletch using a right or left hand helical clamp, you can use these adjustments to increase the helical twist; but do so VERY slightly.

I can e-mail you pics of the receivers and how I set-up my Multi-Fletchers if you wish.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

1. I shoot with three vanes with the cock vane down not out.
Look into the end of the receiver that you will place your arrow nock into and verify that the "V" of the internal locator is vertical
Lost me here. No "V" seen just a vertical bar. Only "V" is at the other end of the guide. So the middle indentation is showing the correct position of the cock vane.
I always mark the receiver with a paint mark in the center indentation of the receiver
Are you saying that you mark the center hole?
2. Adjustment of the shaft rest.
I set the V shaft rest at the top of the fletcher slightly to the left when viewed from the back, nock side of the fletcher
Is this for right or left helical? the "V" cannot be moved to the top it is fixed with a screw and the adjustment would be right,center, or left. No marks to go by so you could be far left or adjust from left to any point to center and the same for the right.
3. Yes, and thanks for the photos

Old 01-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Who-

Hope you got my e-mail with the pics. My ISP did not show any "SENT" items. I hope I didn't overload your email with responses.

-Steve