Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 string loop question >

string loop question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string loop question

Old 01-14-2007, 08:42 AM

Default RE: string loop question

a loop won't affect how the front of the bow fits you at all.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your draw length is your draw length. Unless you are still growing it remains the same and a loop doesn't change that. What it does is change your anchor point, moving back the same amount as the loop adds.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

well it would help if you had on and would bring your groups together better if you do in my opinion. But if you are us to have no loop then try it and see how good it works for you.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:13 AM

One of his questions was should he use a metal loop. I have used them and had no problem, but alot of people dont like them.

Anyone want to comment on this ?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:08 AM

i would tend to shy away from the metal loops, i shoot with one and i liked it, but then i took it off and my bow, mysteriouly got much quieter. and also with that extra mass in the center of the string it will slow your string speed down as well as your fps, whether or not it is very noticable i dont know... if u want to try a metal loop i still have my old one. pm me if u are wantin to try it

Old 01-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

One of his questions was should he use a metal loop.
I've found the metal loop was too noisy. If one could be made out of some sort of composite that has the lasting ability of metal would be the trick.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

how about this question that came up this year with my set up -

Do you need or should you use a nock with the loop? My buddy who sets up my bow just ties one on and that worked fine for me. However, when I had some work done on the bow at Gander My, they use a nock (I believe below upper part of loop). That seems to work fine also. It was funny, my buddy said "why is the nock on there", then he changed it, then went to GM and they were going to change it (center shot off slightly), so I asked why they do it, and the GM person showed me the loop package and they recommend doing it. So I have a loop with the nock now, I think. (I really did have my loop done 3 times this year - was having tuning issues).

What do people think/do?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Do you need or should you use a nock with the loop?
I don't believe a brass nock is needed. Look for a post on string loopsdone by "BigJ12", it should answer any and all questions about string loops. This is what I do and have no complaints.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of the more appealing points of going to a loop is using a much-lighter tied-in nock set to keep the weight off the string... It's also a much cleaner look aesthetically, in my opinion...

What are people's thoughts on tying a bit longer nock set underneath the nock? I've seen several target shooters do this, as they believe it allows the release to exert slight downward pressure on the nock... I just got through watching GRIV's DVD, and he only ties one nock set beneath the arrow apparently.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

One of the more appealing points of going to a loop is using a much-lighter tied-in nock set to keep the weight off the string... It's also a much cleaner look aesthetically, in my opinion...

What are people's thoughts on tying a bit longer nock set underneath the nock? I've seen several target shooters do this, as they believe it allows the release to exert slight downward pressure on the nock... I just got through watching GRIV's DVD, and he only ties one nock set beneath the arrow apparently.
Actually GRIV never used a loop until recently, he always used rope on the release with a single tied in nock point above the arrow. As of 2 weeks ago he did have one on his bowsetupbut he is currently using a tied in nock point above, and both ends of the loop tied under the arrow next to each other to create downward pressure.

Dave Cousins is an advocate of the tied in nock point under the arrow and the loop below that nock point, and then above the arrows nock.....no tied in nock point above the arrow just a string loop knot. He states this keeps the release better centered directly behind the nock.

Either of these methods will also help apply the slight downward pressure to the arrow to keep it planted on the rest. Right now I am using a tied in nock above and below, with a loop outside both of those. My bottom nock set is much longer than the top though to help apply more downward pressure to the arrow and to keep the release setup inline with the arrow nock. I may play with this a bit when my new gibblet string/cables get here though.

Quick Reply: string loop question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.