Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow building 101 >

Arrow building 101

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow building 101

Old 01-04-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Arrow building 101

There seems to be quite an interest lately about building our own arrows. So I thought I would do a little "demonstration" on how to do just that. Building your own arrows is very simple, and cost effective.

First, you'll need some basic supplies. You'll need a fletching jig and clamp, glue, vanes, wraps if you want, and of course, arrows. I use a Greyling jig w/ a right helical clamp, Pine Ridge glue ( I also really like Bohning Quantum XT), Blazer vanes, a solid white wrap I made myself, and Easton ACC's...

First, clean your arrow shaft with alcohol,or just good old Dawn dish soap and warm water. Just be sure to let the arrow air dry first. The most difficult part of installing a wrap is getting it lined up perfectly with the shaft. You'll also notice a magazine in the first picture. This is for wrap installation. If you use a hard surface you'll almost always get wrinkles in your wrap.

After you get the wrap lined up, simply roll the arrow using firm pressure to seat the wrap.

Then, insert your vane into the clamp, using the marks on the side as a reference. This way, you get all three vanes in the same place.

Run a thin bead of glue down the vane. Don't use too much, but not too little either. Experience will help you here. Then simply attach the clamp to the jig, using the magnets to hold it in place, making sure the vane is seated fully on the shaft.

Let the glue dry for about 10 minutes, rotate the nock seat, and do it again. In about a half an hour you can have your very own perfectly wrapped and fletched arrow.

Wraps are a great way to customize your arrows and give them that "one of a kind" look. Pictured here are just a few of the patterns I've used. With the exception of the solid white, I get all my wraps from Bowmanhunter.

I hope this inspires you to give it a whirl, and who knows, maybe I'll get one of those "special pictures" at the bottom.....[&:][8D]

Old 01-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Arrow building 101

Very cool mobow...thanks so much...and there it is in 101 style.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:28 PM

Thumbs up. . .great and informative post.

Guys can definitely learn the basics here. After that, all it takes is practice.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice write-up. That was very informative!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Ok, now go into the types on knocks, vanes vs feathers, left/right/center twist, how far down to place vanes/feathers, Size of same, placement of nock vane/feathers for the rest you use.[8D] See what you started.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Who

Ok, now go into the types on knocks, vanes vs feathers, left/right/center twist, how far down to place vanes/feathers, Size of same, placement of nock vane/feathers for the rest you use.[8D] See what you started.
Oh, don't I know it!! But, that's arrow building.....202
Old 01-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Oh no, you have to explain it from the start. How to choose the type shafts for your draw and the differences between them, how to choose and match your field points and broadheads, matching each arrow for accuracy.[8D] All right go ahead but after you have finished remember NEVER volunteer to do anything.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:40 PM

NEVER volunteer to do anything.
Lesson heard, and understood.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Really go right ahead but boy you opended a can of worms[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D] Last time I did that I ended up teaching archery MB at a local Boy Scout summer camp, that was 10 years ago and do it every year since that day. I have had a great time and the pits all at the same time. Try teaching a kid with a right eye dominance and left handed or vice versa.[:@] That will screw with your mind.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another great post. Yours and Gregs on laser tuning are two great threads. Wouldn't be too bad to sticky these in the technical section for future reference.

Quick Reply: Arrow building 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.