Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
FOC problem...need some advice. >

FOC problem...need some advice.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FOC problem...need some advice.

Old 01-15-2002, 05:19 PM

Default RE: FOC problem...need some advice.

Well, I can't argue with the logic of anyone on this post but I think It really hinges on having the correct spine for your set up and having your bow tuned well. My 8% foc setup took a deer on a fairly severe quartering angle this year and only shooting 58lbs. What does this prove? Nothing, except it can be done. I've read that some ASA shooters have excellent accuracy shooting in the neighborhood of 2% FOC, this does not address the issue of penetration, It does show that the setup is at least shootable if the bow is tuned.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:25 PM

Virginia Hunter,

My Goldtip XT's that I use for hunting end up at 8.9% FOC with an 85 grain Thunderhead and shoot amazing groups out to 50 yards. This is with a "pretty good helical" on the 4 inch vanes. I don't see a need to change my setup for hunting.

The ACC 3-39 I use for 3-D would weigh within 5 grains of this arrow if I made it up for hunting, but in no way could I put a helical fletch on it (maybe a straight, slightly offset at best). Considering the price of ACC's, the possible loss in accuracy over what I already have is not worth it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!!
Old 01-15-2002, 07:58 PM
tm
Fork Horn

Just put a half out instead of insert on the 3-49s and it'll help with FOC and arrow weight.