Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

anchor points?

Old 11-08-2006, 09:43 PM
t3

Default anchor points?

ive heard of a lot of different anchor points i was just wondering if there was a correct anchor point or whatever feels comfortable to the shooter?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anchor points?

anchor point is nock of arrow to corner of the mouth with string to the side of the nose at the tip.
there is a good article on this subject on this website somewhere
Old 11-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would say anchor where you are comfortable and have your peep sight adjusted accordingly, also anchor will change depending on the release you use(if one is used at all), and how a person is built....so anchorpoints very greatly from person to person...so it would be wrong for someone to tell you exactly where to anchor your string. i think anchor point is over-rated if you use a peep sight....but very important if you dont use a peep (example would be traditional shooters)....as long as your not Tilting your head to look at your sights you have a good anchor...doesn't matter what anybody says if youcan shootyour wayaccurately and comfortable with your form.

my anchor is release thumb at base of jaw and neck and nose on the string with my head fairly level.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:10 PM

Honestly it doesn't matter if it is easily repeatable. However that is the catch, many odd anchors are hard to repeat or comfortable. And the more the better. I have seen some incredibly good archers with odd anchors or form. That being said I wouldn't stray from the norm just to be different. Most pro archers have fairly simular form because it works, plain and simple.

I touch the string to the tip of my nose, then let it touch the corner of my mouth, the fletching of my arrow touches my face between my chin and bottom lip. And I anchor my release hand just under my ear, that actually depends on the style of release I use though.

And like said above, you should be able to come to full draw with your eyes closed, open them and have the peep lined up without having to move your head to get a good sight picture. If you do have to move your head your peep is set incorrectly or your form is not consistant. For me my peep sight is my least important anchor point.

Paul
Old 11-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

Here is the article: http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=406

There are a lot of pictures to demonstrate his anchor points and how it helps him to "KNOW" he is on target!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

good post paul,

reading your post made me think about what i said in mine....

anchor point being "over rated" when useing a peep would be the wrong term...
a more correct term would be "Less critical" i say this because you can get away with a little bit of inconsistency inanchor point(form)when using a peep sight....more so than you can when not using one....this is why most people use and love peeps....it allows you to still make a good shot when hunting conditions dont allow you to have perfect form.....alot of people wouldsecond guess their formwithout their peep sight, and shoot horribly because of it...

maybee i'll takethe peep sightoff when i get home and see how consistent my anchor really is...sounds like that might be fun...and something i havn't been without on my compound for a long time(since going to a release 16 years ago)....
i also have recently started to shoot traditional equipment, i shoot indian style with that.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:31 PM

Removing the peep will most likely shift your impact points so be prepared for that.

Paul
Old 11-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know about that, Paul. A peep is really nothing more than another anchor reference, just like a kisser button. Removing the peep eliminates one anchor reference, but if your anchor is comfortable and repeatable and if the peep was properly located in the string in the first place,I don't see anyreal reason for the other anchor pointsto shift.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:15 PM

Every time I remove my peep my impact point shifts slightly to the left or right (don't remember which right now). Because with the peep I am looking directly thru the string and without it I am looking to the side of the string. this moves my impact point slightly to the side, but nothing I can't fix with a small sight adjustment.

I will be honest shooting without a peep is more comfortable for me, but I'm more accurate with a peep installed.

Paul
Old 11-10-2006, 09:15 PM

Paul seems to have a good understanding of the subject. Some day we may have an opportunity tosit down together to share some ideas.

Think of anchors as axis locators - X axis, Y axis and Z axis. Put differently as up and down, left to right, and rotational. I try to get my customers to use as many as they can possibly accommodate. Some don't like a 'kisser' button so we move it to a different location which some, like myself, find better to use.

The type of release used sometimes dictates what anchors can and cannot be used. Since many don't know how to properly install, hold or use wrist style releases, anchor points sometimes become almost mute.

Quick Reply: anchor points?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.