Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Would I be offending.... >

Would I be offending....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Would I be offending....

Old 11-18-2002, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would I be offending....

I'm not into giving my money away and I also stated that "If you can save a few bucks without traveling to far then I see nothing wrong with that"...

I just wouldn't take the accessories back to the other shop to have them installed though... Meaning I don't think it would be worth driving a lot of miles to save a few bucks...If you can save $100.00 than by all means save it, I would...

But I also wouldn't get offended if I took them elsewhere and the shop charged my $xxx.xx for installation...

I guess one point I was trying to make is if you can save $5.00 on an item and you take it elsewhere and you have to pay to get it installed where's the savings?...Most of the shops I'm aware of work the same way...

If you can save $100.00 and do all your own work, you're that much further ahead and that would be great...

My shop owner charges for installation or work done to items not bought from him...If someone wants to go to Wal Mart and buy a pair of limb savers (for what he pays for them mind you) and they bring them to him to install he charges them for his time and equipment use... Now the cost of the limb savers is the same as what he gets because he installs them for free if you buy them from him...He also has people bring in arrows bought from Wal Mart to get cut down...He charges for this service which also rasies the cost of the arrows this person just bought from Wal Mart...
Old 11-18-2002, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Thank for clearing that up bowtech, I agree wholeheartedly with your reply.

Chad
Old 11-18-2002, 12:35 PM

Interesting thread..

The pro-shop I shoot for is a bit more expensive than Cabela's and it's amazing how many guys buy a bow from him, then walk in with $100's of accessories & EXPECT to have them installed for free. As written previously in the thread - bow markup isn't great & accessory markup is better.

Also as written earlier (siskyou) if he goes out of buisness it doesn't help anyone - and for that reason - I only buy from pro-shops.

I've asked numerous friends who DON'T go out of their way to partonize the pro-shops 'how much are extra are you willing to pay for the increased service & know how associated with a pro-shop - as well as the convenience' - the answer I get varies but is usually around 10% - and I think that's a fair number - which then begs the question if you are going to pay $100 more from the pro-shop, what's the total cost of your purchase? I'd bet it's not $1000 (in accessories that is)

I'd suggest discussing it with the shop owner & just be honest with them.

Aim small miss small
Old 11-18-2002, 01:31 PM

BT shooter,

You're right. It is not worth it to drive all the extra distance to save $5.00.

The quad thing was an analogy. In other words I would be more concerned about my financial situation than anyone elses. To lay awake at night wondering if your doing right by the proshops is silly. You give them the business you can. If you can afford to purchase the high mark up stuff do it. If you can't go somewhere else. ATV mark up has nothing to do with it. It has to do with this guy spending his money in a manner he feels comfortable with. With out being made to feel guilty for watching his $.

As for someone walking in with a bow and a bunch of stuff and just expecting the dealer to put it on, that's nuts. Of course I don't think anyone would expect to have the proshop install them free of charge. But...

If you just spend anywhere from $300.00 to $800.00 for a bow and would like the guy to help you set it up it should not be too much to ask. I'm talking about either putting on the accessories that you had on your last bow or some stuff you bought from Wal-Mart (or wherever you choose for that matter). The bow should be ready to go when you leave the shop, paper tuned and sighted in at 20. It only takes about 15 minutes to install leeches, limbsavers, quiver, a rest and a sight. Maybe less for some folks if your not tying much on the string. Of course the tuning and sighting won't take long either and should be a given.

Any shop who feels that they can't do this is not a shop you want to support anyway (no matter how little the markup supposedly is).
Old 11-18-2002, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
BT shooter,

You're right. It is not worth it to drive all the extra distance to save $5.00.

The quad thing was an analogy. In other words I would be more concerned about my financial situation than anyone elses. To lay awake at night wondering if your doing right by the proshops is silly. You give them the business you can. If you can afford to purchase the high mark up stuff do it. If you can't go somewhere else. ATV mark up has nothing to do with it. It has to do with this guy spending his money in a manner he feels comfortable with. With out being made to feel guilty for watching his $.

As for someone walking in with a bow and a bunch of stuff and just expecting the dealer to put it on, that's nuts. Of course I don't think anyone would expect to have the proshop install them free of charge. But...

If you just spend anywhere from $300.00 to $800.00 for a bow and would like the guy to help you set it up it should not be too much to ask. I'm talking about either putting on the accessories that you had on your last bow or some stuff you bought from Wal-Mart (or wherever you choose for that matter). The bow should be ready to go when you leave the shop, paper tuned and sighted in at 20. It only takes about 15 minutes to install leeches, limbsavers, quiver, a rest and a sight. Maybe less for some folks if your not tying much on the string. Of course the tuning and sighting won't take long either and should be a given.

Any shop who feels that they can't do this is not a shop you want to support anyway (no matter how little the markup supposedly is).
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I guess what I wrote wasn't written all that well. I'm not saying anyone should at any time try to save money..I do all the time...But we get guys come in to my buddies shop with this &quot;I can get it down the road cheaper&quot; (40 miles away) attitude and so they go there to get it and bring it back for us to install...We charge for our services always will. Our time is money just the same as any other working man...I don't know of too many people that would go to work for free?
That's what it would be if a legit Pro Shop would offer all his services for free...Free work...Most legit Pro Shops that I frequent charge $30.00 an hour for their services and it's pretty much the same accross the board...It's still less than a computer, car or ATV dealers fees...

My dealers policies are yes if you buy a bow from him he sets it up for free with the accessories off your old bow or new ones bought from him...He'll even usually make a whole package deal up to save you money but he won't give free time/services if the new stuff bought elsewhere though...

You're right it only takes a little bit of time to put a few accessories on a bow but it sometimes takes me between 1 and 2 hours to get the bow tuned and shooting to my likings to assure the customer leaves happy and satisfied. Nothing like sending a dissatisfied customer out the door when his bow isn't tuned right just because the dealer didn't want to spend the time to do a complete tune...It's bad for business when he tells his buddies your shop doesn't do good work...I know you can relate to that since you weren't treated right by the shop you bought your bow from in Salem...You weren't satisfied with their services and you came on these boards to tell us about it...As I recall your complaint wasn't about the costs but rather the service provided...

I hope that clears some things up...I am all for saving money..Trust me...
Old 11-18-2002, 04:33 PM

I just wanted to say that after owning my own business for 15 years and having been a salesman for 10 years prior to that, I find very few people who truly understand sales, and never in a bow shop. However, I must say, jgttechjunkie, you most assuredly do!

Old 11-18-2002, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Being a consumer for much longer than that, I'm not sure you understand the customers standpoint. We enjoy purchasing everying from the same place, but we will go elsewhere to pick up a thing or two if we feel we are being bent over for pleasure purposes. Oddly enough, those 'things or two' that I may have gone elsewhere to buy, someone else is purchasing at that same shop, that is unless the prices are so high they are not competitive.

I'm not sure if your intent was to demean some of us because of our obvious wealth of sales knowledge or not, but that is how I am interpreting it. I may not understand sales to the extent you potentially do, but I do understand money. Just because you were a used car salesman for 10 years and you own your own hot dog stand now, doesn't make you an expert on sales or the logic behind it.

I will tell you one thing, I was surprised to find out that people just don't give money to ya for being a good person, you actually have to earn it. I also understand that when owners are so out of touch with competitive pricing that it drives people to buy their product elsewhere, then I see nothing wrong with it. Here's an idea, how 'bout all you fellers who think I should support my local shop and not sweat the 100 bucks send me 20 bucks apiece and all will be better.

Chad

&quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.&quot;

--Albert Einstein

Edited by - oregonhunter on 11/18/2002 17:53:57

Edited by - oregonhunter on 11/18/2002 17:54:52
Old 11-18-2002, 05:16 PM

Oregonhunter,

Relax Don't take all this too personally. I can tell your miffed about some peoples responses. We really need to respect the opinions of others on this board just as others will need to respect our views and so on. We can make our arguments. We can agree to disagree. I know some debates may become heated but I take the point of view that the members of this board are friends. I look at this as sort of friendly argument and wouldn't want to take any personal jabs at anyone.

I'm not getting on to you. In fact I agree with your point of view. I just noticed your post was a little nasty and was hoping to help put things in perspective. Please don't take offense.

Respectfully,
Kirk
Old 11-18-2002, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

I agree Kirk, but I am not going to have this yahoo come on here and make little cracks like, &quot;I find very few people who truly understand sales...&quot; just because this dude is a salesman of some kind. I was and still am displaying the consumers point of view, and this guy's way of looking down on the customer is why little punk stores of any kind rarely make it, as they can't for the life of them understand where we are coming from.

Thanks Kirk, I needed a kick in the pants.

Chad

&quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.&quot;

--Albert Einstein
Old 11-18-2002, 06:14 PM

As a consumer I see nothing wrong with looking for the best price! If he is too expensive buy the sights, stabilizers, and rest from a place cheaper & then just take them with you when you buy the bow. Just take them out of the package & ask him to put them on.

It is your right as a consumer to invest your money the way you see fit. Screw him if he is so high, a real friend would knock some cash off to get you to buy everything from him. As it sounds he isn't willing to do that so go where you get the best deal.

Most shops charge a small setup fee if you do not buy everything from them so check into that & see if he does. you might find it balances out but then again it may not!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.