Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Axle to Axle & Draw Length Question >

Axle to Axle & Draw Length Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Axle to Axle & Draw Length Question

Old 10-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Site Bouncer

Default Axle to Axle & Draw Length Question

A buddy of mine wants to remove his dual cams and replace them with a single cam set up. The bow that had the single cam set up has the exact samebrace height as his bow. The draw length of the cam he is installing is also the same . The only difference between to two bows is the axle to axle length, his is about 3 in longer.

If he puts the single cam set up on then measures and puts on the correct length cable and stringfor his longer axle to axle bow, will the draw length be correct?

Here are the two bows stats:

His bow:37in AtoA, 7 1/2in brace height 31in draw dual cam
Other bow: 34in AtoA,7 1/2in brace height 31in draw single cam

I told himas long as he keeps his bow's AtoA at 37in (measure for the correct length string and cable)his brace height will not change so the draw length will still be 31 because the single cam came off of a 31in drawing bow with the only difference being the AtoA 3in shorter

What say you all?

Thanks for the help
Old 10-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Axle to Axle & Draw Length Question

If the bow he's wanting to convert has a version that comes in single cam, you can call the factory and ask what size cam and what length string and cables you need to make a certain draw length... as long as you're going back with a cam made by that company that is.

If he's going to use a cam from a different manufacturer, then he's way off into making a frankenbow. In that case, there are too many unknowns. Only thing to do is try it and experiment with different string and cable lengths. Frankly, I don't think it's worth the effort.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Site Bouncer

Arthur,

Both bows are PSE's but the double cam is/was not offered in a single cam configuration. If the brace heights are the same and the cable and string are the correct size so that the frankenbowkeepsit's original AtoA length (37 in this case)thus keeping the brace height the same as the bow that the cams came from, what other factors come into play to with the draw length?

Should he be looking to swich cams with a bow that has the same brace height, draw length and AtoA as his double cam? In this case I would think the draw length would be the same no? I don't think manufacture would matter as long as the actual cam and idler wheel fit with the proper spacing. In this case they do as he has all of the bushings, pins, etc...

The cam, wheel and hardwarewere free as they came off a bow with broken limbs.

So I guess what the question is....All things being the same except for AtoA length will the same draw length cam if moved from one bow to the other)pull to the same draw length on both thelonger AtoA bow as theshorter one? (again this is with the proper length cable and string installed for each bows AtoA length)
Old 10-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

One other thing to worry about is the limb deflection. Depending on the specific cams being switched you may end up with a bow that was originally 60-70# being something like 85-95# or 45-55#.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Run a line thru your axils , compare that to where the string is on both bows , there will be a diferance , that will reflect in the final draw length . Diferant sized cams run the string verying distances from the axils . A small diamiter is close , a large diamiter futher from the line from the axils

After messing with all those variables , hes going to lose 10-15 pounds of draw weight Ill bet.

Better to sell both and get the bow you want , that fits
Old 10-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Site Bouncer

Thanks for the imput guys, I tried to explain to him about the difference between the size of the cams and how that would change his brace height (and draw length)

Thanks again
Old 10-27-2006, 01:56 PM

A bow's draw length is made up of three dimensions:
1 - brace height
2 - 1 3/4"
3 - power stroke - this depends on how much string is spooled out when the bow is drawn.

If the new cam is spooling out exactly the same amount of string for the same power stroke as the old cams, then the DL should be the same. However, because of the longer ATA, the string angle will change significantly.Sometimes the feel of a bow's drawlengthwill change with the change in string angle. The DL has not changed, just the way it fits an archer.

As pointed out the draw weightwill change with a changed in cam diameter.

The suggestion to sell them an buy what he wants is probably the best. Hemay be able toget what he wants by tinkering with the two, but he best be able to make hisown strings.

I changed a scepter 2 from fury cams to nitrous X cams. This conversion is supported by the Martin factory and I still made four sets of strings and cables to get it right. I learned a lot and my serving skills improved, but I won't do it again.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Franken bow sounds like a lot of time and $ if your buying strings. It sounds like a good idea on paper but i dont think it will work out that easy.
If you do go down this road please let us know how it went.