Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Basement Range

Old 10-25-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Basement Range

I'm considering setting up a little 10 yard shooting range in my basement, but I'm concerned about having a safe backdrop behind my targets. Hitting the cement wall wouldn't be good for my arrows OR the wall! Does anyone have any ideas for big, cheap and effective backdrops? I'd like to be able shoot my vertical bow and my crossbow down there and have a backdrop that will stand up to both field tips and broadheads. I hope it's a feasible idea, but I'm not sure!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:48 PM

Default RE: Basement Range

If you are worried about hitting the wall, I dont think you should be shooting inside!
Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with campo- especially at ten yards-

I would just put a piece of plywood behind it- If you miss your target at ten yards thats sad- no offense.

Plus praciting at ten yards isnt really going to help you much with accuracy- if you are just practicing your release then thats ok.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ten yards? why bother?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ten yards? why bother?
To build form andyour shot sequence through repetition.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just buy a large Morrell Target bag (about $100) and build a frame to hang it in. That is large enough to stop anything at 10 yards.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:33 AM

Why bother?

1. I live in Maine and I'm not going to be practicing outdoors in January and February.

2. I made the switch to a left-handed bow this year, but I'm not confident enough to hunt with it yet and want to practice with it over the winter to get ready for turkeys in the spring.

3. Since I'm using a left-handed bow for the first time and I'm right-handed, I have it set to only 50lbs and I want to work on building up my arm strength through repetitive shooting so I can get to 60lbs and be able to hold it for a while.

4. I have two little kids and a wife that leaves for work as soon as I get home, so I don't even get a chance to shoot during the week until it's dark outside.

Has nobody ever done this before? I didn't think it was that outrageous of a proposition. Does anyone know of a cheap way to find big blocks of styrofoam or anything like that?
Old 10-26-2006, 06:38 AM

Thanks, Rick. I just checked the site and their Wildfire targets look pretty huge.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:12 AM

Why bother?

Because he wants to! That's the only reason that he needs.

The other reasons he listed are good too.

The big Morrel target is agood idea. I use a Bass Pro bag that's about 28" square with sheet of 3/4" plywood backup. The Bass Pro bag was about $35 on sale, but since you are switching to left hand, you will probably have a few flyers and the bigger target may be a better investment.

If you send an arrow into the plywood, be sure to check it throroughly, there can be hidden damage that won't show until you shoot it again. That's how I had an arrow explode on me.

Another tip is to learn to draw with your arrow pointed at the target. Not all of your misfires will go into the bag, but most will.

Good luck,
Allen
Old 10-26-2006, 09:10 AM

Corvus,... I am trying to do something similiar. The only thing I can find that is not an arm and a leg expense wise, is to buy like 4 of the square layered targets and stack them. Something on that order might work for you too. I have found some reasonably priced targets on ebay. The big targets like what I need are like 600.00 in the Lancasters catalogue, and that is way too much, so like I say, some of the smaller one stacked is my only viable option so far. But I am looking for other big blocks of foam, and if I can find whereto get one , I will send you a message. Good luck on setting up your basement range.

God bless

Quick Reply: Basement Range

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.