Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 string and cable length >

string and cable length

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string and cable length

Old 10-22-2006, 05:16 PM

Default string and cable length

Hello everyone, will a shorter cable on a bow make the poundage go up and the draw length feel longer. The reason i ask is, i brought my bow to a shop to have a new string and cable put on, the bow is a bowtech pro 38 and after getting back home and starting to shoot the bow it just didnt feel right, the draw felt long and the poundage felt really high, i checked the draw weight with a scale and it said 73 pounds, the bow only maxed out at 63 before having the string and cable changed. i took the string and cable off the bow and measured it and the cable put on my bow is 38 inches, the bow calls for 39 1/4 and the string is 94 and that is suppose to be 94 1/4, do all pro shops do this so they dont loose a sale.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: string and cable length

Yes, shortening the cables preloads the limbs which causes the weight to go up and the draw length to lengthen.

The cables and string they gave you were incorrect and I'd take it back and ask them to resolve your issue.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Rob ,that's a mistake that the string biulder has made and the shop didn't take the time to re order or maybe they didn't even check it for length at all . I'd definately take it back with your correct measurement's and let them know your not satisfied with it and that you want the problem corrected . Somewhere along the linesomeone screwed up,it's not your fault so have them fix it right .

nubo
Old 10-23-2006, 05:52 AM

i betcha the fellow said to himself - these are close enough - and they aren't.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:03 AM

I would seriously have to question going back to that shop, also. There is a safety factor involved here, and they made that change, risking YOUR safety, without any apparent concern. I would get it fixed right, and let them know you are not happy with their complete disregard for your safety, and that you will be sure to let others know, for thier own saftey.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not only does the rigging you mention make the bow fell longer. It is longer, by about 1 1/2".

BAD, BAD shop. It's possible they didn't have the right size rigging and used the closest they had. That's no excuse. If this is the case they should have told you so and with your permission ordered the correct size.

As mentioned, they have risked your safety and the possibilty of damaging the bow. There is no excuse for this. React accordingly.