Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 BISCUIT OR DROP-AWAY >

BISCUIT OR DROP-AWAY

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BISCUIT OR DROP-AWAY

Old 10-22-2006, 03:26 PM

Default RE: BISCUIT OR DROP-AWAY

Why would you have to worry about changing your vains while shooting a W.B. I have been using a W.B. for 3 years and shooting Blazer vains and I have never had one tear or rip off. The only vains I have to replace are the ones I have shot off.

Statements like that are misleading. If you are losing vains, then either the rest is not at center shot ( poor bow set up ) or the vains were not fletched correctly. A bunch of people blame the W.B. for a situation that it is not the cause of. I know, like I said ..... Not one problem in 3 years.
W.B.'s and blazer vains are almost idiot proof when both are installed correctly. I could not be happier with this set up.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

MichaelT, your talking a specfic combination thats working for you. Does that mean every type of vane on the market will also pass through the W.B. for 3yrs w/o needing replacement?
I hear the W.B. is a good hunting rest, but mainly the reasoning behind it is becasue it totally incaptures the arrow. There are other rests on the market that do the samething, and I know of two drops aways that also totally incapture the arrow. 1 which I use is the Q.A.D. Ultra or Hunters rest. I absolutely love this rest. Its very quiet, full vane clearance, and the arrow cannot fall out of the rest once you cock it into place. 2-Vital bow gear also makes a very similar drop away to the Q.A.D. I've heard good reviews about this rest as well.
If you want a all around good rest, I'd go with one of those 2 drop aways.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Site Bouncer

Fellas.....let me get some thing clear here, I have been using the Whisker Biscuit since it first came out (the all black bristle ones) and yes the older style did wave the vanes. Since the introduction of the updated Biscuit with the brown and blackbristles there is no vane damage and I shoot 4in cheapo vanes that my Proshop buys in bulk. The key is to make sure it's set up correctly and the biscuit opening is the right size. The arrow should only be touching the black bristles. If it is touching the brown the opening is too small. Now I will say I do not have any experience with arrows traveling faster than 270fps as that is as fast as my bow will shoot my 476grn arrows, so I don't know how the vanes hold up to high speeds, perhaps at high speeds some damage occuresbut like I said my vanes show no damage.

What I don't like about the biscuit is that it will sometimes catch a bit of fletch and your arrow does not come off clean. Oh, you hit close to where you were aiming, but with hunting, that could be a liver/gut shot instead of a lung shot.
This statement could not be any further from the truth[&:]. From 50yards and in the biscuit is plenty accurate. It's only at long distances does the drop away tend to be more accurate (IMO)and I'm not talking by a great difference either only a matter of a few inches. Remember there are some who have won tournaments with a Whisker Biscuit restso in the right hands it is very accurate. My hunting distances are out to 40 yards so I practice out to 50 and I can tell you that I have to shoot spots out as far as 30 yards or I will be damaging vanes, and I consider myself an average archer.

I have no idea why people like to bash the Biscuit,if you don't like that's fine but don't spreadB.S. about it.[:@]
This poster asked a question, Biscuit or Drop-Away, you can give him your opinion without having to bash another product.

Hey I'm not a big fan of drop aways for many reasons butI dare you to find a post where I bash them.Face it the biscuit is here to stay.......why? Because it works and works good. In my opinion it is BY FAR the best HUNTING rest on the market today. Is it the perfect hunting rest......no but it's close.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

some Love it
some Hate it
I hate it too
Old 10-23-2006, 06:45 AM

Well, I gues you are right, we are talking about a rig that works well for me. And we all know that my rig is the only one in the world that it will work on. Even if everyone else sets a correct centershot, sets the W.B. perfectly perpendicular, sets the nock point correctly, and does everything else they should normally do, no matter what rest they use. My setup stands alone.....One of a kind.......Hooray.

And my point about refletching is this: Say they have 1 doz. arrows. They happen to rip the fletch off of everyone of them the first time out. So now they have to refletch.....One last time, because now they can go back with blazers and they too can be good to go for the next three years. See, what I am talking about is a very realistic situation that is attainable by everyone. Not something that is magical for only me. If you need to refletch one time...go ahead. But the rest should be set up properly regardless of what rest you use. You still have to adjust your dropaways..........don't you????????

But I can hardly understand the hatred held by some for the W.B. You see, I don't use a drop away. Is it because I hate them, NO! I have "talked" with others on this site, and there are some whose opinion I respect greatly, and they love their drop aways. But even though I don't use one, I know they work. They work well in fact. I don't hate them, it is just that I don't happen to use one. I don't need to. But I am not going around being rabidly hateful about them. There is room in this great big bowhunting world for many different types of equipment. When people ask for help and opinions, we should try to give the most complete andHONEST assesment of the things we know about so that that person may make a well informed decision. That is what I do. I will tell about what I know, but I am not going to put down other people and their equpment just because it is not what I use. We also need to not make blanket statements about equipment. The idea of having to refletch constantly is flat out wrong. I know people using W.B.'s but not blazers, who do fine. But it has been told and shown repeatedly that blazers are an excellent fit for a W.B. and other rests also. Blazers are a great fletch, by their own merits, and more people are finding this out everyday.

So just because you might not like a certain piece of equipment, or because you need the ego boost of finding out that someone took what you said to heart and bought a certain piece of equipment based on your recommendation, there is no reason to not be honest with what you are saying. I can respect people who stand up and say " I hate this P.O.S. - I don't know why, but I just do. - a whole lot more than people who make up blatently false reasons, misleading other unknowing people along the way.

And I tip my hat to you Bigpapascout. You are straight up. No excuses or lies. You hate the W.B. and it is not sugarcoated with empty excuses. I can respect that. But no matter what equipment we use, we should always strive for perfection and correctness in its installation and set up. The job of cleanly and respectfully taking an animal demands it.

P.S. - one other reason I don't use a drop away, is that while failures are very few and far between, I have heard of drop away rests breaking down in the field. The drop away rest is a moving part rest. Moving parts can fail. If you are in the woods and it fails, unless you have exrta parts with you or you can fix it, you are screwed. The W.B. has no moving parts. It is what it is. Period. For me, thats just one less thing to go wrong.

And as for the argument concerning loss of arrow speed through a W.B. - the effect is neglegable. It only amounts to a few FPS. And I dont know anyone who an tell the difference between 260 fps and 263 fps. And if you can, then you are a better man than I.

God Bless
Old 10-23-2006, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I myself have never used a W.B., butI have friends who do, and love it. Its like everything else that has good & bad points. Ibelieve what mostthink that dislike the W.B. is this rest goes against the whole concept of what a rest is supppose to do. Its been put into our heads for yrs, and yrs. YOU DON"T WANT ANY FLETCHING CONTACT. This rest has fletching contact. When it first came out I read several posts on this site how many were cutting out the whiskers to get vane clearance for the rest to work properly. I thought then what is the point of even owning one then. Since its improved. But it started off with a sorta bad reputation that hasn't quite totally left the product.
The drop away concept goes along with whats been put into our heads for all those yrs. A rest that'll work w/o fletching contact. Long as you can get the timing down on the drop. (Which is pretty simple. For most its simply pulling back your bow with the clamp loosened.) Your arrowsets onthe rest long enough for accurate arrow flight. The other nice advantage of a drop away is becasue it does have less rest contact, it leaves less margin for shooter error. Drop aways are more forgiving.
So it all comes down to personal preference, and everyone of us is going to back what works for us individually. Thats the great art of archery, were all different in our own little ways. What might work for me, might not for someone else. But I agree there's no reason to bash a product that is working for others. If a bad incident comes from personal experience, than sharing that is also informative as well.
The best adviceI can give on selecting arest for you, is to figure out what you want out of your bow. Look, and read about different ones. Ask your friends. Then go try one, and see if its what you wanted. If not, go try another.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like and use drop aways. I had a biscuit and I found myself having to refletch my arrows constantly. The biscuit was just tearing up my fletching. I switched to a drop away and since there is absolutely now fletching contact (except arrows hitting arrows in my target), I find myself refletching arrows a whole lot less. You will also get faster arrow speeds with a drop away because of the friction of the biscuit on your arrow.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:23 PM

We tested fps loss and gain. Compaired the Trophy Taker drop away to the whisker biscuit. Only had 6 fps loss. Not enough to notice. And to Mike T. They do tear up fletchings on arrows. The only ones we havent had issues w/. Are Blazers and the new Quick Spins. Which are heavier like the blazers. You havent noticed cause you shoot blazers !! LOL !!!! And you do know that there are 2 different biscuits? One sized for carbon arrows and one for aluminum. Had a guy come in and throw his. Said it was junk. Come to find out he was shooting fat aluminum logs through one for a carbon arrow. Thats what ya get for buying something off the internet!! LOL !!!! Its great for what its designed for!! HUNTING !!! Now you w2ont see me at a ASA Pro-Am shoot w/ one. Or in Vegas for Spots. But hunting, wouldnt bother me at all. Though I'm not a user. My 4.5 yr son does. works great for him too.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

I like NAP drop aways and i will keep using them,to each his own i always say.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Host of Hosts

Drop Away

Quick Reply: BISCUIT OR DROP-AWAY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.