Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Famous Last Words >

Famous Last Words

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Famous Last Words

Old 10-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Famous Last Words

Maybe some of you remember this blurb I wrotesome months backin a threadwhere we were listingbows we've owned...

Hoyt ProTec. Good bow but I absolutely HATE Tec risers. It is my last compound. Period. End of discussion. No more compounds for me!
So... I lied.[8D]

Actually,I quit shooting back in February because my shoulders were hurting SO bad. Played with crossbows since then. They're ok, but I just can't fall in love with 'em. I got the hankering last month and shot a few arrows just to see how my shoulders felt. Can't pull a recurve to full draw, but I could shoot my ProTec.

Now, I found out I have to hold my bow arm differently in order to keep the bow-arm shoulder from hurting and that has shortened my draw length 2". I also decided to go to release instead of fingers because the arthritis in my piddies ain't gettin' no better, neither.[:'(]

So, I shortened the draw on the ProTec, but I couldn't stand the weight of the thing, or the way it felt. Accuwheels have a really soft wall. Great for fingers but lousy for release. I had a decision to make.... Do I spend a buttload of money to convert this old pig - with a riser design I really don't like - to a release bow, or do I go to a different bow altogether? Well, my sponsor shop has closed it's doors, so I'm not a program shooter any more. My draw length has gone from 33" to 31" and that opens up a whole selection of bows I've never even been able to consider. I can finally shoot pretty much whatever I want! So! New bow it is.

After some shopping around, I found a really good deal on a closeout... a discontinued but new-in-the-box Fred Bear TRX, the 36" version with the recurved limbs. Last Bearwheelbow I had was nearly 20 years ago and it was a pile of junk, so I was a little hesitant. But, I remembered that PABowhnter had spoken highly of some of Bear's latest efforts, so I swallowed hard and got it.

After two weeks with the bow, I'm impressed!Very good quality. The laminated wood handle is sweet and fits like a glove. The bow is much lighter in mass weight than the ProTec, which helps my shoulder immensely. Ithas excellent balance, shoots a very quick arrow and stacksarrows in the dotjust as well as any bow I've ever shot.

I LIKE it! and I hope it'll give me a few more years of shooting than I would've had otherwise.

Anyway, next time you hear me say "This is my last compound"don't pay any attention to it. Actually, thisBear has given me the hots to go and try out the new Instinct.[8D]
Old 10-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Famous Last Words

Glad to hear it, Arthur! I'd hate to think that your bow days would be over...
Old 10-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome back AP. Your advice is always welcome and admired, enjoy the new bow and I/we look forward to more thoughts as the years roll on.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heck Arthur,I've never payed any attention to anything you say.[:-]Just kidding.

I played around with the Fred Bear line a little and some of it is good and some of it,well,some of it is good.[8D]Actually the trx line seems to be pretty nice.But,it isn't deflexed is it?

Good shooting ,heck I have done very little shooting myself do to the little one playing baseball all summer and fall.But I have never had more fun.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

I am impressed with your intestal fortitude in sticking with the compound . Most folks would have taken the easy way out . Way to go !!!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Typical archer---or is it Arthur? Can't believe a thing they say. Good for you.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the new bow & return to the shoulder saving side of archery.

I saw that bow on closeout and almost picked one up myself. I love the way recurve limbs look on a compound. They look sweeeet.

Glad to hear you found a way to continue shooting.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I have lived that lie a time or two my self
Old 10-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur:

Really glad you found a bow that will allow you to keep shooting. Best of luck with the endeavor.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:18 AM

Arthur, I'm happy to hear that you're shooting. It doesn't matter what, just that you can.

Anyway, next time you hear me say "This is my last compound"don't pay any attention to it.
Most of us have said that about something and reversed our thinking later on. In fact, about 20 years ago, I was so enthralled with the new compounds, I often said "I'll never shoot a recurve again." And even though I don't have another recurve yet, I did buy a new custom made longbow and I'm lovin' it. A new recurve will probably make me eat those words sometime next year.