Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Short A to A bows >

Short A to A bows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Short A to A bows

Old 11-13-2002, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Short A to A bows

Was wondering what advantages and disadvantages there are to the short A to A bows? Obviously weight would be one of the adv. as well as easier to handle/maneuver in the field. Are there other performance benefits to shorter bows? I've read that they are easier to cant and less forgiving? I'm in the market for a new bow and can't beleive how short everything is compared to my PSE with a 42 inch A to A! I do shoot a release too. Any info appreciated.

Gus

Old 11-13-2002, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Short A to A bows

I don't see alot of benefits with the shorter bows--I like to shoot 'em with at least a 34" a to a.JMO.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:08 AM

Lou,

Shorter A to A bows are not for everyone! First you have to consider your drawlength when purchasing a really short bow. A short A to A is better suited to a shorter draw archer because of the string angle it generates at draw. Its true that the shorter bows have some advantages in a treestand, but that is over shadowed if the bow does not fit you well causing accuracy problems.

Aim Hard!
Old 11-13-2002, 09:53 AM

big, I have a buckmaster G2 it is 31inches a/a, I am robinhooding arrows all the time at 35 yards, I shot a 9 point right below my stand friday and if I was shooting anything longer I might of not of gotten the shot off, I have a 30 inch draw and stand 6ft1 it seems a little small but works for me. I also shoot a loop W/release, with everything installed sights,quiver,stab it really brings the weight up but I do not shoot with the quiver on, and never on the ground at real animals

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110
Old 11-13-2002, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

So does the fact that I am 6'5" with a 31 inch draw make a difference? Also shoot with a super loop on the string.

Old 11-13-2002, 11:17 AM

BigLouie,

For a guy your size, 33"-34" would be a short bow. If you hunt out of treestands, the short bows can be worth their weight in gold. If you hunt enough out of a treestand, you will lose shots because of a bow that is too long and one of the bow limbs hits a tree limb, or your treestand or even your leg. You'd be surprised how contorted you can get when following a deer that is coming into or around your stand.

If most of your shots are inside of 25 yards, I wouldn't even consider the forgiveness factor. One with a higher brace height (around 8&quot will shoot very nicely at those distances. If your hardly ever in a tree, then an ATA of less than 38" is probably not necessary. I don't use ground blinds, but I've heard that guys who hunt out of these also like short bows.

Old 11-13-2002, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot a Bowtech Tech29 (about 29" ata). My draw is only 25". I'm shooting pretty good group.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:17 PM

Personally, I only like bows with at least 35 inch axle to axle. I have a 35 right now and started out with a 33 PSE bandit youth bow. I think my next bow will be 38. But I also don't like bows that are more than 38 because I am so small. Actually I thinkj my next bow will be a trad bow.

I've seen these short bows shoot and they are accurate just like a longer bow. I see them as something more for the tech/speed freak. But they do work good.

One think with them is you cannot shoot with fingers because the angle of the string. You would get alot of nock pinch too so a string loop would be best. They certainly are mean looking little devices.

Nic
Old 11-14-2002, 08:55 PM

BigLouie
coming from a 42" ata bow it will take alittle getting use too
HCA makes a 34" ata bow called carbon lite goes out to 31" draw
you must try it out. a very small bow for it's draw
don't know what part of Wi your from but, I'am from Sarona Wi. north of Rice Lake
give me an e-mail
Old 11-15-2002, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
So does the fact that I am 6'5&quot; with a 31 inch draw make a difference? Also shoot with a super loop on the string.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Yikes! Yes it would be a big difference! I'm 6'3&quot; and I rushed out and got a short ata bow a few years back (34&quot and I had alot of trouble keeping consistant groups with it. I tried everything in my power to master that bow to the point where I thought maybe my age or eyesight had something to do with it. After reading an article by Bill Winke about short ata bows and how their not suited for larger archers , I went to the proshop and grabbed a used Martin off the shelf (40&quot;ata) and started stacking arrows again. For me anyway , I've found that between 38&quot;-40&quot; ata is ideal.

The treestand thing shouldn't be an issue. You just have to use your head and think of any possible trouble scenarios when setting up your stand. I had a guy at work ready to run out and buy a short ata bow because his bottom bow limb hit the arm rest on his summit viper climbing stand causing him to miss a buck. I told him to just raise his platform a little higher so when he stands up it's not in the way..He says...oh yeah!
What did treestand hunters do before the mini bows came out?

Edited by - bowfanatic on 11/15/2002 03:41:43

Quick Reply: Short A to A bows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.