Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Shoulda left well enough alone >

Shoulda left well enough alone

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shoulda left well enough alone

Old 09-21-2006, 05:30 PM

Default Shoulda left well enough alone

Today was the day that I was going to broadhead tune. I have been able to shoot a 50 cent piece at 40 yards but not anymore. My field points were dead on as was I. My BH's were shooting about 3-4 inches low. So I decided to move the nock down like the Eastman Guide stated. All the problems began from there. Somehow my Fp's began shooting left and my BH's right, but they came up some.

Anyway, I kept at it but have not succeeded yet. I will go to the range tomorrow where I can paper tune and all that good stuff.

I was actually baffled last night. I was reading the Eastman's Bowhunting Journal and saw something to my surprise. They had that same diagram that shows you what to do if your FP's are bullseye and Bh's are somewhere else. Where according to the journal, just move your sights if your Bh's are low or high.

Long story short, should have just moved my sights since my BH's were low. I know thats not ideal but would have suited me fine. Oh well, it was tuned before and I'll get her again.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:07 PM

Default RE: Shoulda left well enough alone

Yep, if your broadheads were grouping, a small sights adjustment would have made all good. Hopefully you can get it shooting good again before your season opens up.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

ducsauce, if you remember Greg / MO's post on the level/laser I recommended? Do yourself a favor, it's not a huge cost for a world of easy tuning your bow. I set mine for center and level and Muzzy's, field point and RM Snypers all grouping. You can't argue center and level, if the bows shooting perfect and you can shoot the bow, there is no question the broadheads are going to be there as well, providing the arrows are matched and tuned.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny you should mention this. I tied on a new string loop a few days ago and evidently didn't get the nock height right where it used to be (I tied it on high). Man I was chasing my tail there for a little bit until I lowered the loop back down where it was before the swap. OnceI did thatI was able to put everything back to where my pencil marks showed me it was before the calamity began. BACK-ON!

I didn't take time to figure out why, but with the nock heigh my BH's where going to the right and moving the rest around didn't help much.

This happened on my Tribute as well.

I would go back with everything where you started, get the BH's grouping- move the sights for dead on & then see where your field points land. They are probably real close.

Good luck with it.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:16 PM

Mo Bow: Hindsight is 20-20, huh?As much as I shoot; I am not worried the least bit. Just more experience. Thanks.

Rob: Funny you should mention that. I was going to find that post earlier but the PC's connection that I'm using sux. I can barely get this reply in.I copy my reply just in case it doesn't go thru the 1st time.I believe I will invest in one. Seems easy enough as well.

Dave: Funny how the smallest adjustment can affect so much.

The whole tuning thing does not make sense to me. Ok, FP's are good but broadheads are hitting right. Move the rest away from the bow. Ok, BH's are hitting but FP's are to the left. It just doesn't make sense. Your bow is going to be affected one way or the other no matter what you do.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:44 PM

I was going to find that post earlier but the PC's connection that I'm using sux. I can barely get this reply in.I copy my reply just in case it doesn't go thru the 1st time
It's not your computer....it's HNI. I have that problem several times a day.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's mainly the Bowhunting part of the forum, other areas respond pretty much on time from what I can see. I think it's when there's about 80 0r 90 of us on at a time!
Old 09-22-2006, 04:34 AM

ducsauce, it sounds like you went just a bit far w/ your rest adjustment. obviously if you move your rest your fp's will change point of impact - its just that the broadheads will move more. when you get them shooting together (if that's what you're into) set your sight.