Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 mechanical questions >

mechanical questions

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

mechanical questions

Old 09-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Spike

Default mechanical questions

i am getting some new broadheads for this year any suggestions for mech. broadheads. i really like the 2 blade snypers and 2 blade rage. anyone use these please way in. they sorta look as though they are the same design.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mechanical questions

Good heads, but be sure to make sure you have all the info. Check out my website and read through all the free pages first, it should help you make an informed choice
www.broadheadtests.com
Old 09-20-2006, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot mechanicals last year and I was using the Nap spitfires and they flew just like my target tips. They flew very, very well....
Old 09-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was anti mechanical when mechanicals first came out. 5 shot's testing of the Snyper got me curious. I bought a pack and ran them through tests of my own. The impressed me, especially how they full open on the entrance hole rather than through the animal like many of the "jackknife" style heads.

I since shot 4 bucks with the Snypers anbd I'm still impressed with the huge holes and especially the fully open impact holes of these heads. They are not the most durable but I could care less when the animal is already on the ground.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Here's another site to check out.http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/broadhead_test.htm
Old 09-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Here's another site to check out.http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/broadhead_test.htm
That's 5shots writing and why I tried it, I find the exact same results, here's the quote.

This is in my opinion the finest mechanical head on the market. It has everything a mechanical head needs, and it works very well. The rearward opening blades eliminate any chance of deflection or “cart wheeling” that can happen under extreme conditions with most of the “jack knife” opening style heads. Another benefit of this style of head is that you always get an entrance wound, in fact I have found that the entrance wound is actually larger than the total cutting diameter of the head. This is due to the way the blades swing out and back to open.

In the plywood test the Snyper blasted all the way through without any damage. This is only the 2nd mechanical head to do so. In the steel drum it penetrated the first side, and bounced off the back wall. The only damage was some bending of the blades, but the head stayed intact. In the Orange it opened completely by the time it exited, the blade/tip made a nice slit on the front side, and the blades showed some indication of opening. This is about the fastest opening mechanical I have tested.

Overall I find this broadhead to be excellent. It will shave hair right out of the package, the accuracy is outstanding, it opens fast, and is very durable. I can say without question this is also one of the best penetrating mechanical heads on the market. The only one to come close to it’s performance is the Rocket Steelhead, but the Snyper cuts a bigger hole, and has much sharper blades.
Please note as more test information becomes available, it will be updated and posted. Make sure you check back periodically to see if the head you're curious about shows up on the measuring tape. If you’re interested in donating a head for testing, email [email protected] or visit Huntingforums.com, Bows and Arrows forum and see 5shot. Thank you and enjoy. Return to the Main BroadHead Test Page.