Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How long can you shoot? >

How long can you shoot?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How long can you shoot?

Old 09-13-2006, 07:29 PM

Default How long can you shoot?

I am shooting a 70# bow with an 80% let off. Today I was shooting groups of 5 arrows at a 10yd target. After about 6 or 7 groups, my shoulder was fatigued to the point I could no longer hold steady on the target and I quit for the day. Granted, I was holding on the target for 20 seconds before each shot to simulate real hunting situations.

Is my bow too heavy for me or is this normal?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How long can you shoot?

Estimate that your shooting about 30-35 arrows. Keep that up and you'll build into being able to shoot more. It's not the quantity of arrows you shoot, it's more the quality of each shot ie, form, release, concentration, execution and mental well being. Some nights I shoot a couple dozen shots, some nights I shoot 1, some nights 5. It's quality and at times, it's one, that's usually all you get when the buck steps out.

The other Saturday I visited a good friend in his hometown and got a chance to shoot an indoor pop up 3D out to 40 yards, we warmed up, shot two rounds which amounted to around 100 shots.

Indoors paper shoots require 60 shots, 3D shoots can be 40 targets or 30 targets. It comes down to what you want from your shooting. Work into more and more, the stronger you are, the better, the easier it will be to pull the bow in cold weather, the better you'll be able to hold steady.

When endurance shooting, shoot close and don't worry about point of impact as long as your hitting the target, remember your strength training and you don't want to develope bad habits, concentrate on shot execution rather than bulleyes.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

dont over do it. once you feel it stop for the DAY. im a strong guy..i used to be a hardcore power lifter. my bow is 67lb draw 75% let off. its easy to pull back and i can hold it back well over a minute. the first week alone i shot atleast 1000 arrows. the next week i was laid up and couldnt even draw it back. i never felt it hurting..but it just built up and killed me. keep shooting and building the muscles..but dont over do it. youll get stronger...
Old 09-13-2006, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Estimate that your shooting about 30-35 arrows. Keep that up and you'll build into being able to shoot more. It's not the quantity of arrows you shoot, it's more the quality of each shot ie, form, release, concentration, execution and mental well being. Some nights I shoot a couple dozen shots, some nights I shoot 1, some nights 5. It's quality and at times, it's one, that's usually all you get when the buck steps out.

The other Saturday I visited a good friend in his hometown and got a chance to shoot an indoor pop up 3D out to 40 yards, we warmed up, shot two rounds which amounted to around 100 shots.

Indoors paper shoots require 60 shots, 3D shoots can be 40 targets or 30 targets. It comes down to what you want from your shooting. Work into more and more, the stronger you are, the better, the easier it will be to pull the bow in cold weather, the better you'll be able to hold steady.

When endurance shooting, shoot close and don't worry about point of impact as long as your hitting the target, remember your strength training and you don't want to develope bad habits, concentrate on shot execution rather than bulleyes.
Were you at Bent Arrow in Mansfield? [8D] I used to shoot there all the time when i lived in Wellsboro back in 1995. Dan and I went there last winter and this summer a few times too to shoot and I managed to clean their course.

Anyhow, as Rob said your muscles will condition to the point that you are able to shoot more than that. I don't hold for 20 seconds as I can only think of one situation, however my sessions are usually 60-200 arrows all depends on the time I have. I practice form on the blank bale for probably 25% of my practice sessions still as well to keep in touch with what the perfect shot feels like.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

you guys are lucky, I got arthritis in both shoulders, more in my left, I'm right handed, I do about 30 to 40 arrows before the pain gets too much, my bow is also set low at 55lbs. I'llhunt untill I can no longer pull the string tho. live to hunt, hunt to live!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:53 PM

At least you knew when it was time to stop, and if you ever think "Hey! I dont think i should shoot anymore arrows today," 9 times out of ten you should just stop and pick up again the next day.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:47 AM

Basically,I'm justtrying tofigureoutif I need to back the weight off on my bow. I'm a pretty big guy and am plenty strong but I don't know howphysically difficultit should be for me to shoot. Shooting a bow used completely different muscles than most other strength exercises I've done. Should it be almost effortless or should I have to work at pulling the string and holding full draw for awhile till I get mymuscles more used to it?
Old 09-14-2006, 02:34 PM

I only shoot around 10 arrows each practice round. After that i start shooting sloppy.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saturday I shot for over an hour, and still was grouping fairly well out to 50 yrds. I think its just conditioning, ive been shooting 4-7 days a week since may and shoot a minimum of 25 shots each session and upwords of 200 at some times.... Just keep up the practice, when hunting you only shoot once. If your concerned about your draw weight being to heavy, try drawing from your knees and pull straight back, no cheating by raising the bow up in the air to pull down. If you cant do that then you might want to lower your weight...
Old 09-14-2006, 07:12 PM

I can shoot for hours at a time. The most I have shot was about 8 hours. I love to shoot my bow Its addictive to me. I keep saying "just a few more arrows then I will quit. ". Then a couple of hours have gone by.

For indoor spots you need to be able to shoot around 60 arrows in an evening. At least if you shoot two rounds of vegas spots. Plus practice arrows.

Paul

Quick Reply: How long can you shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.