Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow advise...! >

Arrow advise...!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow advise...!

Old 09-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Arrow advise...!

I need some advise on what arrows to buy. Rite now im lookin at the easton axis and the full metal jackets. The maximas look nice too. Im shooting the trykon with 70 draw weight and 28.5 draw length. oh yeah vabes or feathers??any recomendations.....
Old 09-11-2006, 07:47 PM

Default RE: Arrow advise...!

I would go w/ the Axis over the FMJ, and the Maxima's are pretty hard to beat as well.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

why the axis over the fmj just wondering... feathers or vanes?
Old 09-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

I would say that for a hunting arrow, the Axis are probably a better choice. The FMJ, while they are a great arrow, have the potential of becoming bent due to the aluminum outer covering. The Axis is an all carbon shaft. Normally it is either straight or it is broken.

Feathers or vanes is really a personal choice. Plenty of guys I know shoot feathers, and plenty shoot vanes. Both groups kill lots of deer.

Out of a tuned bow, they both will fly well out past the range that you can accurately shoot.

With respect to hunting considerations, I prefer vanes due to their weather resistance. While there are a number of products you can coat feathers with that will shed water/rain after many days of hunting in the rain they WILL all eventually get wet and lay down. Vanes can be soaked in a pond for a week and still shoot fine.

On the flip side, vanes are much less tolerant of fletching contact. Any fletch contact with a vane and that arrow flies like I walk after a new years eve party. Feathers while not totally immune to fletching contact will tend to deflect out of the way on only minimally effect arrow flight.

Shoot what strikes your fancy at the moment.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 PM

We did some testing at the shop, and the Axis were more durable, and pentrated better than the FMJ's.