Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 string or serving? >

string or serving?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string or serving?

Old 09-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default string or serving?

any comments are greatly appreciated

went to shop to get a string re-served due to release wear( I dont use a loop because it makes my draw too long and messes my form all to hell) the guy told me he couldnt re-serve it and that i had to buy a new string with the factory serving. He told me that you cant wind the serving that tightly by hand and it will come apart in no time soon. he told me a string needs to be replaced every year wich is about how old mine is but it doesnt show any ware and i dont think it has stretched because the bow shoots great. What ended up happening was he slipped the seving down tight and put a second nockset on to keep the serving from getting worse temporarily. I had him order a string anyway and ill have him put it on when I think it needs replaced.

I want to like this buisness and the people seem nice but Does this man Know what hes talkin about or is he taking me for a ride Because he cant re-serve worth a SH**? Ivenever dealt with this shop before, but i have had strings re-served yearly elsewhere and replaced every 2 years because i dont shoot much and my bow isnt exactly a high performance machine (PSE polaris express)but shoots great anyway.

the othershops in my areaare gander mountain(they are nice workers but they just dont know what they are doing, they kind of remind me of the sales people/"technicians" yousee at Best Buy) and id rather support a small archery shop than a big buisness any day. THere are two other shops but one I like is out of the way and the other im boycotting. so thought id give this new place a try.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: string or serving?

Did i answer all my own questions?

just wish i was close friends with someonethats real good with bows and knows whats right and wrongsotheycould show me all the tricks of the trade. im tired of paying people to do things that seem so simple with the right tools. i should just do them my self but i dont know too much or have the tools but im trying to learn.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Apparently either he does not know how to serve properly or he just doesn't want to do it and wants to sell you a new string. I do believe however, a string could be replaced every year however, if you care for your string with routine waxing, it can and should last a couple years. You should be the judge of that.

When I purchase a new bow, especially the past monofilament serving, the first thing I'd do is remove the factory serving and reserve the string, it's easy. Plus, when you purchase man made strings like gibblet's or whomevers, it's not a factory string and sometimes better....reserving a string for years of use is not difficult, he just needs to want to do it.

Since you ordered the new string, ask him if he'd reserve the existing string and you can have the new one for immediate backup.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reserving a string is not rocket science. In fact it's pretty simple. With about ten minutes of experience the string doesn't even need to be taken off the bow. I won't explain it all here. If you're interested in knowing how then a search is in order.

Let it suffice to say that from reading your post I wouldn't let the guy work on my bow. Any decent shop should know how to serve a string. Depending on how much you shoot your bow it's nice,, but not necessary to change the string every year. Every two to three years would be about right. And when you do don't get those generic strings hanging on the wall of the shop. Get decent aftermarket ones.

As for not being able to serve as tight as factory? You gotta be kidding. I've seen a lot of factory servings slip because they were' t tight enough or wound in the wrong direction, or their lousy strings just crept and left the serving behind, leading to separation.

I assume from your explaination that your center serving pushed up the string. Your shop person pushed it back down and placed another nockset on the string? I'm sorry, I don't buy this. If this is what he did then I'd find another bow technician. Better yet, learn to things yourself and you won't have to boycott yourself.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

yea the impression i got is he didnt want to take the time to re-serve it[:'(]. it probly takes him 3 times longer to do that, and is a lot cheaper for me(more expensive for him). so he just tells people to get a new string, he has to pay the bills i guess. This isnt the only shop around that trys to sell stuff u dont need. My buddy just got into shooting and hadG.M.do some work ona used bow he picked up. well after they did he had to move his sight bracket and pins so far down he could only get a ten pin on target and that was it. he couldn't figure it out. they had his nockset all wrong and his peep was ontly 3 1/2inches up from the nockset. I adjustedthe nock setfor him and had a friend fix his peep now all is good. They had his setup all wrong they were trying to sell him a new bow they told him that bow didnt fit him and it was too old to shoot accurately. he was ready to give them 650 for a new rig[:@].
Old 09-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again for the comments guys. I guess ill have to go 50min out of my way to get my work done till i figure it out for myself. im definately gonna try to be self relient with my archery equipment from now on.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:22 PM

in a way, he may be telling you the truth. maybe he doesn't have a good serving tool and isn't very good at it. if you want a good center serving that won't slip, it helps if the string is under more tension than the bow will put it under. if you serve tight enough for it not to slip while its on the bow, many times your peep will rotate a good bit when it didn't before. this is because the string got all twisted up while re-serving. you can work around this and have it come out pretty darn good, but not everyone is very good at it. i do think you can get good at it though. there is a serving tool called the beiter winder. its pricey, but compared to the others out there - its a rolls royce in a world of geo's. since he's a tech or even owner of a shop - he should be able to do it well - but maybe every time he does it, it just comes apart. i really had a hard time with it staying together for thousands upon thousands of shots until i was able to wrap a tag end under almost the entire run of center serving.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

BS , I can serve by hand tighter than most factory string and cabels , without any tools , but he may have been doing you a favor by not doing it , if he was not abil to . Aftermarket is a diferant story as you get what you pay for . I hope you got some quality strngs , and not pse's stock strings .
Old 09-04-2006, 10:43 AM

when you say 'by hand' do you mean just a loose piece of thread between your fingers?
Old 09-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the small tool with the wingnut on the side , forget who makes it .

Quick Reply: string or serving?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.