Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Going from aluminum to carbon >

Going from aluminum to carbon

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Going from aluminum to carbon

Old 09-01-2006, 01:06 PM

Default Going from aluminum to carbon

Was Up Eveyone,
Well time to think about updatting and could use some ideas and opinions . I shoot a Martin at around 69 pounds ( need to find out) and use 28 inch aluminum arrows (2216) , and use muzzy 100 grain B.H.. It's time to order some arrows and am wondering where to start . My finances are not the greatest so Im wondering are there any economical carbons that perform well out there.???
How many of you guys or girls out there still use aluminum??
Thanks for any idea'rs ,
Paka
Old 09-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Going from aluminum to carbon

How many of you guys or girls out there still use aluminum??
Me.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:20 PM

I still use aluminum, actually I switched from carbons to aluminums.

If you get cheaper carbons, see if they will let you sort them by weight and straightness. Of course this will require you to have a scale and arrow spinner.

Paul
Old 09-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am old fashion I shoot the aluminum too.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:50 AM

Thanks Guys, Maybe I'll just stick with a good thing
Old 09-02-2006, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I kinda switched over to carbons just to give them a try. sofar Im liking the carbons but not sure yet if I like them better then good ole' aluminum.

I do know one thing for sure, I will keep shooting aluminums with my recurves and target bows. something I did notice with aluminums over carbons, aluminums are much more consistant in straightness and weight then even the best carbons. carbons straightness can vary a ton asmuch .008" according to my arrow straightness gauging tool and also can vary asmuch as 3 grains in shaft weight IMO the quality control is kinda sloppy unless its just difficult during manufacture to be more consistant. even my cheapest aluminums (xx75 game getters) they are a ton more consistant from shaft to shaft the straightness is within .002" and are within .5 grain with weight.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with HighDesert to a point. Carbons do vary a lot more, but it depends on what quality of carbon you get. There are entry level adn up to and including excellent quality---priced accordingly I might add. You buy cheap ones that are straight within .006" and that means a total runout of .012". You get .003" (plenty good enough) and that's .006" runout. The biggest difference is that with carbon you don't need an arrow straightener---for obvious reasons. Yeh, aluminums are straighter to start with, but they don't stay that way.

Another matter is that if you have your arrows made or make them yourself all you need to do is cut 1 1/2" from the nock end, the rest from the point end and you end up with an arrow that is straighter, often making a .003" shaft nearly .001". And it'll stay that way unless you start banging on rocks and trees which will trash any arrow.

As for weight, I think 3 grains is really nitpicking. Have you ever weighed vanes? I've weighed some by certain manufacturers that varied as much as 4+ grains in a pack of 50 (4"). How many people really take the time or care to do this; yea, how many are even aware of it. Points can vary that much too. So in reality 3 grains between shafts ain't squat.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

I would tend to agree with what has been said about carbons.

Cutting from both the nock and point end of the blank shaft is the real secret to getting very consistent carbon arrows.

For the average Joe, and even most of the above average ones, any inconsistency that you might see in a carbon arrow is so low in relation to the normal consistency of most archers, that you will probably not notice the difference.

I shoot carbon arrows for all of my rigs except my indoor spot setup (2613 aluminums). I don't feel that there is any drawback to shooting a good quality carbon arrow. In my experience they last longer and in 99% of the cases, they are either straight or they are broken. Not too much gray area there.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:21 AM

I shot xx75's through my PSE and now I upgraded to Gold Tip Pro Hunter 5575 through my Mathews Switchback XT. I noticed a difference and would recommend Carbons to anyone.

Don't have to worry about them being bent. They are either broken or not.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot carbons too - after 20+ years of shooting aluminum. I've been considering going back someday to aluminum for some of the reason listed.

Here's a link to an article on this very subject written by Chuck Adams. Another HNI member posted this in the bowhunting forum, so I can't claim credit for it. It's pretty informative. Realize that Chuck gets all of his arrows free from Easton and is a paid spokesman for them, but I still value his opinion. It's a good read.

http://www.eastonarchery.com./articl...umaremyfav.asp

Quick Reply: Going from aluminum to carbon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.