Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Stretched Cable, bow way out of wack >

Stretched Cable, bow way out of wack

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Stretched Cable, bow way out of wack

Old 08-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Stretched Cable, bow way out of wack

I got my PSE thunderbolt out of the closet the other day so i could start shooting every day getting ready for the up coming season. I knocked an arrow and noticed that it was pointing on a downward angle. I took a shot a 20 yards and i was 2 foot low. I shot several shots all with the same results. I eventually had to move the sight down considerably and use my 30 yard pin just to hit center.
Took it to the bow shop today, the cable is stretched really bad. The cam has move like an inch and a half from where it should be. He tried a few things to tighten the cable up some but after drawing it back once or twice it had moved again. So its in the shop now getting a new cable and new serving.
The funny thing is what a diffrence it made in the draw weight with the cable being stretched so bad. I had it maxed out at 70 pounds and the last time i put it on a bow scale it pulled like 74 pounds, that has been like 6 years ago. The guy at the shop tried to draw it before he put it on the press and could barely pull it back. He asked how high i had it set and i told him, he said it didnt feel like any 70 pounds he has ever pulled. After he adjusted the cables and put the cam back to where it was supposed to be he tried to draw it again and couldnt even get it to break down. He said this thing is at least 85 pounds if not more. I told him to drop the weight so he made 4 full turns on the limb bolts, which should have dropped it 12 to 16 pounds. When he put it on the scale it still pulled 68 pounds, meaning it was around 80-84 pounds. Its hard to believe that it was that high above the max poundage. So as soon as i get it back im going to have him set it at 65.

Dave
Old 08-24-2006, 04:30 PM

Default RE: Stretched Cable, bow way out of wack

Yep. You see alot of that from equipment that sits most of the time. What cracks us up at the shop is everyone waits till the last minute to get their stuff fixed, and we're so far behind it takes us a week to get to it....LOL.....I sometimes have to laugh.

Anyway, the added poundage is indeed caused by twisting the cables. In essence, you are making them shorter which pulls the limbs tighter increasing the poundage. I'm also sure it affected your draw length, also making it shorter. You did the right thing, though.....those cables are about to go, like....blammo! Time to get new ones.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:16 AM

oh no, am i confused again? i thought shortening the cables increased drawlength. string stretch will do the same and add poundage.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

In not sure gibblet, i just know that the draw weight really changed. After he took it off the press from making an adjustment to the cable i could barely pull it back. He took 4 full turns off each limb and it was still at 68 pounds. He said the draw length got longer too, because it is set at 29 and he could pull it back to his ear and said it looked to be about 31 inches or more now.

Dave
Old 08-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the reason you should shoot your bow more often. And change the rigging more foten. Six years is a long stretch. The string most likely did creep, and a lot, for the poundage to get that high. If you shot more often and were more familiar with the bow you would have easily noticed this just from a big increase in the draw length.