Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Oneida AF80 - pls help - was a gift and my 1st bow season >

Oneida AF80 - pls help - was a gift and my 1st bow season

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Oneida AF80 - pls help - was a gift and my 1st bow season

Old 08-20-2006, 09:12 PM

Default Oneida AF80 - pls help - was a gift and my 1st bow season

My uncle gave me a bow after he got too sick to hunt. I am not sure he even shot it in the field other than target practice. I checked out Oneida's website and beleive it to be an Aeroforce 80 made in 1995 based on the SN#. I need some good advice since this will be my first bow season ever. I am going to find someone to help me shoot but I have equip questions. I am decent whitetail hunter with 5 years rifle experience but that's it. Never shot this bow and know very little about bows.

Is this still a good bow or "outdated"? I'm sure it will still kill one and all but I figure I'll have to invest some money to get it all set up so should I use it and upgrade later? Or just get newer technology and invest it that right now?

ABOUT THE BOW: Red Dot scope on it. (Bracklynn Archery). Noother sights on it...the rest looks pretty basic with two arms on it. I don't see a stabilizer. I got a box of behman carbon 65-80 arrows. A cobra release, the string is yellow/natural looking with just a couple small frays on it.

??? Do I have good equipment to start with or invest in? Any advice on what to get or check on or if I should buy a new one would be appreciated greatly! I live in Western KY.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:23 PM

Default RE: Oneida AF80 - pls help - was a gift and my 1st bow season

Welcome to the forums.

Now, there is nothing wrong with this bow. Many deer have been killed with much older bows. Are you planning on using it this season? You should be practicing with it as soon as possible and frequently. I would take it to a proshop and let them look it over. Buy some wax so you can maintain your string. Let the shop tune your bow and then you should be set to practice.

Ask questions and get them to show you the proper form when shooting. Thats enough for now until that bow is tuned.

Once tuned, be sure to post back so we can get you on your way to harvesting your first whitetail w/ a bow.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:35 PM

Thanks Sauce: I am going to do just that and yes I want to use it this season or else I'll put it off like I did last year. Gun season is only 15 days in KY here and that ain't enough.

I have a great shop close to home but they looked at my bow funny and said they didn't work on them there "Yankee bows".LOL. I may have trouble finding somebody who truly knows the Oneidas in this area?? Maybe it's not a big deal though.

One thing I am definately getting is a climbing stand. I'll pay for the best one there is and I hate height so safety is a must and ease of use. Any recommnedations? I'm saving at least $500 not buying the bow so any good one(s)? How about a harness/safety system?

thanks again
Old 08-20-2006, 09:39 PM

How about this scope? good or problem prone.?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:30 PM

Well, as far as climbers go, I would recommend Summit Treestands. http://www.summitstands.com/ I have the razor and really like it. The climbing bar can be folded underneath the seat after the climbing process. The Viper is a fixed bar...which ever tickles your fancy. They come with a free safety harness. Disregard the recall notice...that was last year's harness. (They are shipping me one as we speak)

The shop near your house is stooopid. I hate that crap. Instead of helping a fellow hunter; they come up with that BS. Give me a break. If you could, give another shop some business.

I haven't actually had any dealings with a scope on a bow. I have pins and love them. This is the site I have. http://www.swordacusite.com/

Old 08-21-2006, 03:09 PM

Found a guy with a "backyard shop" not too far from home that is going to take a look and work with me on the bow tonight after work. That is going to be great. If the scope works OK, I'm going to use it this season along with the Oneida as it sits. I'll get the good sights on the new set-up.

I'll have to get as much practice as possible in a short timeframe! I think with my work/fishing trips to Vermont in Sept will mean an Oct start to the season anyway.

I really like the Summit you are talking about. I think i would prefer to have the bar in front since I am a wimp with heights but I guess being able to pull it under would be a good option too! I am going to Gander this week to look at climbers. I heard they have a way to let you try them. Ultimately it will come down to fit and feel.

Do you ever try those vest type harnesses? That's one area I want the absolute best protection in without just killing my mobility I suppose.

Thanks again.....putting the pieces together here.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:19 PM

Nope, never tried them but I hear they are really nice. I'm just gonna stick w/ the TMA supplied harness.

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

I own an Oneida Tomcat and it shoots real sweet. First thing you should do is make you a bow press. Its very simple to make and recommended by Oneida. Take a 2x4. Mine is 36 1/2 inches long. Then with the 2x4 laying flat nail a 4 inch piece of 2x4 on each end of the 2x4. Then after youve done that place the bow press and lay it on a table pull your bow back and set it between the pieces. . This holds your limbs and you can change the string and other cables if need be. Its very simple. I would change the string first if its frayed. Then run your fingers over the cables and make sure there are no frayed cables. If you change the string you will probably have to order one from Oneida. Thats what I do anyway. They are hard to find in bow shops. Also you will have to order a quiver for your bow if you dont have one. If ya need to know anything else just give me a yell and I'll do my best to help ya out...
Old 08-22-2006, 08:01 AM

UPDATE: Found an Oneida-savvy tech and I think I'm on my way now! I'm ready to practice, practice, practice before getting the final field gear. I found "Tom's Primitive Weapons" which is a backyard shop in the Land Between the Lakes region of Western KY. Great guy and knowledgeable with a really small but crammed pack cabin of goodies. He knows the Oneidas because he was the only dealer anywhere around but divorcedfrom them after they were purchased and failed to honor warranty claims...so now he just services them. Anyhow, he tuned a little and shortened the draw length by going to 65% let off and reduced the pull weight to 55lbs. Even though the bow's a little heavy, it's definately lethal and shoots fast.

My arrows are old Behmans with the nock and points hardware on the outside of the shaft versus internal. They are carbon 65-80. Since I have 9 of them I'm going to shoot them with new broadheads this season.

He helped me with proper form and my first two shots at 15 and 20 were not only on the target but on the circle and one in the bulls! At least I have some confidence now to start with. I have a long way to go with form and consistency but am ready to start out and know how to generally shoot that bow.

Here's what I got:3 crossfire broadheads, a whisker biscuit installed. He put a kisser on my string and another metal nock anchor piece on it. He tied some living rubber on there, I bought an arm guard. I got that wax for my string as well you recommended above. All that and on the range coaching on shooting form for $100.42. I was really happy! It wasn't a price thing at all because I wanted to support his business but it was the icing on the cake that his prices were also so good. I was there one-on-one for almost 3 hours. What a great way to get started.

I have to practice now.....:-)
Old 08-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Spike

if you are shooting from a tree stand at a sharp angle watch the lower outboard limb. it will leave a nice bruise on your thigh (experience)and jump timing. you should measure the distance from the wheel to string for a reference point for later adjustments. get the owners manual and do it yourself. the worst thing that can happen is you have to take it back to a shop.

Quick Reply: Oneida AF80 - pls help - was a gift and my 1st bow season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.