Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 bare shaft tuning >

bare shaft tuning

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bare shaft tuning

Old 08-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default bare shaft tuning

Can someone explain how to bare shaft tune a bow? I am familiar with paper tuning, but not bare shaft tuning...any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-16-2006, 03:29 PM

Default RE: bare shaft tuning

go to http://eastonarchery.com/and then to the download section. It has a tuning guide and it is very helpful
Old 08-16-2006, 11:39 PM

IMO walk back tuning is more practical. And it can save you a potential headache.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

when you bareshaft tune make very very minor adjustments or you'll be cussing the idea of bareshaft tuning. I use it as my fine tuning before i shoot broadheads. Once i bareshaft tuned, my broadheads were dead on out to 55 yrds....needless to say i didnt have to "broadhead" tune, or walkback tune. Eastons guide is what i use.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:10 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

when you bareshaft tune make very very minor adjustments or you'll be cussing the idea of bareshaft tuning. I use it as my fine tuning before i shoot broadheads. Once i bareshaft tuned, my broadheads were dead on out to 55 yrds....needless to say i didnt have to "broadhead" tune, or walkback tune. Eastons guide is what i use.
But all this to work out is contengent on the correct spine for the bow. Which is rarely the case. All the guides I have used usually put me on the weak side of the spine for my application. But its better to be weak than stiff.

I myself like papertune to make sure everything is lined up and maybe bareshaft to check for spine, and broadhead tune for fine tuning for spine.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to the traditional forum and youll get more answers , bareshaft works for traditional gear , and thats what it is listed under in eastons tuneing guide . There are better methods for compound/release archers IMO

bigcountry
Its better to be weak than stiff
I hope you got that backwards as that is genraly the rule especialy when shooting fixed broadheads , stiff spine being the better choice
Old 08-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

bigcountry
[blockquote]quote:

Its better to be weak than stiff[/blockquote]

I hope you got that backwards as that is genraly the rule especialy when shooting fixed broadheads , stiff spine being the better choice
I was thinking the same thing...
Old 08-17-2006, 03:19 PM

Using bare shaft tuning to check for spine works well with finger shooters, be it compound or traditional. However it doesn't work that well for release shooters. Not that it won't tell you if your spine is off, it just won't give diffinitive answers like it will with fingers.

I use it to make sure my rest is line up the best it can be. Honestly though if you are going to shoot fixed blades just start with broad head tuning. Why bother with paper tuning and/or bareshaft tuning if you are just going to end up tuning for broad heads anyway. Because if your spine isn't pretty close you will just end up adjusting it again anyway.

I agree for fixed blades you are usually better off with a bit stiffer spine. However for target shooting I have found a bit lighter spine than what you would use with hunting rig is a bit more accurate.

Paul
Old 08-17-2006, 04:02 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: ijimmy

Go to the traditional forum and youll get more answers , bareshaft works for traditional gear , and thats what it is listed under in eastons tuneing guide . There are better methods for compound/release archers IMO

bigcountry
Its better to be weak than stiff
Nope I got it right. I mean, I would rather my arrows be a little on theweak side so I canup or downin poundage, or increase my tip weight. Too stiff, you might not be able to raise the pounage and now stuck with those arrows. Most shooters I know wants to start out at max pounds anyway.

Bareshaft works for either. Archery is archery. I have looked at several revisions of my easton guides and others, and never saw where its listed only as a traditonal tuning tool. And I shoot traditional.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what is the best way to broadhead tune? The only tuning process that i am familiar with is paper tuning...

Quick Reply: bare shaft tuning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.