Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

best silencer

Old 08-12-2006, 06:48 AM

Default best silencer

what do you feel is the best silencer??
Old 08-12-2006, 07:08 AM

Default RE: best silencer

Well, any episode of Big Brother or Survivor gets ms nucker to shut up for about an hour..................
Old 08-12-2006, 08:28 AM

I have no idea as to what you're wanting to silence, but whatever it is, if you install something by Simms you'd be doing right.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

for coughs??
Old 09-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll presume you mean string silencer , in which case I'll go with cat whiskers . String Bats would be my second choice .
Old 09-07-2006, 05:29 PM

For me the best thing I have found for the money is the cheap yarn puff balls. Very inexpensive and really quiet, plus they weigh next to nothing. However I have never found string silencers to slow my bows down enough that I could notice, even thru a chrono. They are pretty much towards your limbs so they don't have a whole lot of effect on that. The closer the weight is to the center of the string the more it effects your speed.

The down side is the puff balls collect water if it is wet out and they will pick up every freakin sticky in the woods when you walk thru brush. But they last for darn near ever. I have had a set for over 5 years and they have been thru 3 bows. The more I shoot em the better they get!

Next I would say regular old rubber cat wiskers and after that string leaches from Simms. The simms ones actually work a bit better in my opinion, but cost much more and tend not to last as long. I understand they are MUCH better in that regard now though. But to me both of those, or any rubber silencer makes a rubber whipping sound I can hear when I shoot the bow. Probably nothing of concern, but not as quiet as the puff balls, or better yet Beaver Balls, but they are not that cheap either.

I personally wouldn't waste my money on any other string silencer than the ones I mentioned. Most are just nock offs of the Simms product and in most cases don't work as well the original.

I have shot next to plenty of bows with STS type systems or cable dampners (mathews). None of them were what I would consider quiet. They were better than nothing and probably good enough for hunting. However when indoors the difference between my bow and one of those was pretty noticable.

I used to shoot a Darton, which are not known for being quiet or being low on reciol. After some limb savers, an Enhancer 2000 and some cheap puff balls this bow was more shock free than a mathews and whisper quiet. Everyone that shot next to me commented on quiet my bow was. And my bowtech with the same set up is even more quiet! All I hear is my release click and the arrow hitting the target.

Paul
Old 09-07-2006, 08:37 PM

String silencers are over rated and they give up too much speed. Try out STS. You won't be dissapointed.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:39 PM

A properly set up string silencer will not cost much, if any speed. Might even gain a few FPS if you get it in the right spot.

And there is absolutely no way an STS is more quiet than good string silencers. It is physically impossible for something to slam into something else and make no noise. I haven't heard any of the dampner designs that are remotely quiet in my opinion.

I bet they do help with recoil though. The again so will limb savers.

Paul
Old 09-08-2006, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Slapped some beaver balls on the other day. Very nice!
Old 09-08-2006, 06:05 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: nodog

Slapped some beaver balls on the other day. Very nice!
Didn't the beaver object to you slapping his balls ?

Quick Reply: best silencer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.