Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 If you could choose... >

If you could choose...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

If you could choose...

Old 08-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If you could choose...

If you are already shooting ACCs, personally I would stick with them. I thought about the Superslims, but why? Don't really like the HIT thing. I'd much rather put another G-nock in a unibushing that was hit than a whole new arrow when the X nock is smacked. I haven't heard that many people being overly impressed with the FMJ, I think Easton has to hype their newest offering.

Boy, Rack is into light arrows, huh? I really like my CT Cheetahs. I only have the hunter grade, and they shoot just as well as my ACCs. If I put out somewhere close to $100 for new arrows this year, I think it would be for CT Panthers.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

they are all to heavy for me
Why did I know you were going to say that?

And do you really thing the 2 or 3/64's difference in thickness will ever make a difference in penetrating Game??
Probably not. It kind of goes back to that mental confidence thing... Do I need 80 ft-lbs of energy or whatever absurd amount is being cranked out of my Allegiance for whitetail? No way... At least not if I make a perfect shot like my first 20 or so on actual deer were... Yet, onmy only deer I never recovered after that string of successes, I would have loved to have had every conceivable thing in my favor, like maybe an extra 1/2" of penetration or something. Maybe it would have saved me being on my hands and knees for almost six hours until I saw her later acting like nothing had ever happened.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Personally as stated, I'd stick with your ACC's as well. It goes without saying that there are is so much more than effects penetration than anything you would gain or loose by switching arrows.

I reference my elk hunt...at 33 yards I passed through that bull and had my arrow sink in the ground beyond the bull 10 yards.....

Same exact arrow, not a different one, SAME arrow, new blades I didn't passthru a doe when I came home that same year.....All but the same spot on the animals as well...go figure!

The arrow, Beman Trophy Hunter 70/90

Now I doubt I'd ever shy away from my Easton ACC's...

Old 08-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

So it seems people prefer the regular ACCs over the Super Slims... I understand not wanting to switch if you already had some, but ... if you were going to go out and buy a whole brand new dozen irrespective of what you've already got at home, would you still choose the regulars over the Super Slims?

I think the concept of thinner diameter and thicker wall helping to increase penetration sounds pretty good...

I'm also still left then with my question about choosing the ACC Super Slims over the Black Max Elites... Why would someone choose the ACCs over them? I know everyone seems infatuated by the composite technology, but I guess I'm sincerely trying to get a handle on why... The tolerances seem better on the Black Maxes, as well as you wouldn't have to worry about bending them as much as the ACCs...
Old 08-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have the experience or expertise of most on here, but I can tell you a few things. First, I went and built a spine meter to check arrows. I already had the ACCs, and a few all carbons. What the spine meter told me was that I should have saved the money and just gotten more ACCs. They were all within less than .001 spine within the dozen, and spine around each shaft varied less than half of that. The CT Cheetahs were the closest to that with all carbons, and they varied 3 times as much as the ACCs. Second, I got some Axis arrows 2 years ago when they first came out. Put them on an arrow spinner, and most looked pretty good, only 3 of the dozen had a wobble to them. I only shot 6 of the Axis for a period of 3 months. It seemed like the groups were opening up a little, so I spun them again. Now only one of the 6 spun like they did when new. My ACCs that I have are from later that year. Every one of them spins nearly perfect today. Not sure how much difference it makes, but it goes back to that confidence thing.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Joe, that's exactly the kind of input I was looking for.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Of course, that begs the question: Would the Super Slims provide the absolute best,theoretically, of the most consistent, and stable, spine -- as wellas the best penetating package (at least when compared to its larger-diameter, thinner walled brethren)?

In other words, is there any merit to this thin-diameter, thick-walled sales pitch?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:02 PM

I'm also still left then with my question about choosing the ACC Super Slims over the Black Max Elites... Why would someone choose the ACCs over them?
Weight. The Black Max are relatively heavy in the same spine compared to A/C/C's. With that weight comes reduced speed, in spite of the smaller diameter. Go ahead and make the argument about a heavy arrow carrying more KE, that's fine, but out of my 71# bow I get 82#'s of KE. With my A/C/C's, I also get the flatter trajectory that comes with the speed. Personally, I'm not willing to add weight and give up speed when I am already shooting the numbers I am. What would be the point??

In other words, is there any merit to this thin-diameter, thick-walled sales pitch?
Nope. Well, I should say yes, actually, if you are shooting at concrete blocks.....[&:] We've all seen the propaganda to the thin wall carbon....they shoot into a concrete block and out the other side.......yadda yadda yadda......Penetration is a moot point w/ todays equipment. (Generally speaking) Today's compounds boast such KE that a 32nd of an inch in diameter just isn't gonna make a darn bit of difference. I would have to look at the specs, but the SuperSlims just can't be much less in diameter than the ACC. Marketing, you know, that old chestnut.......I believe to stay on top of the game, arrow companys gotta come out w/ something new, something to create a buzz and sell product. Everybody wants to tinker, mess around w/ stuff. Me included. If they come out w/ a new arrow, the question has to be asked, "Is it any better than what I already have?" Well, there's really only one way to find that out. Buy some. Arrow company has done it's job, they win.

Your question as it pertains to spine, well, I can only imagine the SuperSlims would be equal in spine to their ACC bretheren. And I still say if I were to choose between the Black Max and the ACC, (or superslim, whichever of the 2 you want) the ACC wins everytime. Everytime! I simply will not add the weight to my arrow and lose the speed and flatter trajectory when I am already all but knocking a deer over when the arrow hits anyway.

Holy cow....I'm tired now. I need an adult beverage......
Old 08-13-2006, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't address your Black Max issue with any credibility as I have never had any experience with them.

I have been shooting the Super Slims fora little overmonth now almost everyday. They basically are just a "beefed up" ACC. In the past I have shot the ACC 3-71 shaft with good results but I wanted more weight. I get it with the Super Slims.

I still don't get the hype about the HIT system but I do like the extended length of the inserts; I don't remember them being longer when I tried the axis arrows a couple of years ago. I prefer the G nock with the bushingover the X nock but in all fairness the X nock on the Super Slims is better than most I have seen offered on other shafts.

As far as the diameter goes, the 300's that I am shooting would obviously be smaller than the 3-71. I see that the size of Broadhead Adapter Ring (BAR)Easton recommends for the ACC3-60 shaft is a 7. For the Super slim 300 & 340 they recommend a 5. For comparison purposes, that is the same size recommeded for an ACC 3-39. For what its worth I will tell you that a 3-39 sized uni bushing would not fit inside the 300 Super Slim, it is too big (the bushing). The Super Slim 400 & 500 take a size 3 BAR. That is the same size an ACC 3-18 & 3-28 call for.

Performance wise I would have to give the Super Slims an excellent rating. No different than the ACC shaft but then why wouldn't it be; their specs (weight tolerance & guaranteed staightness)are identical.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Putting the insert system and nocking system aside(not saying either are better), with same spine................A/C Super Slim is heavier than the ACC's and that is the only reason I chose them for my hunting arrows over ACC's.

Mobow, I am not getting into the KE arguments(I like crunching numbers as much as the next guy), but I know what works for me as far as penetration. In other words I like a little more mass weight with the momentum.

Quick Reply: If you could choose...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.