Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Incresasing My Pullback Weight >

Incresasing My Pullback Weight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Incresasing My Pullback Weight

Old 08-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Incresasing My Pullback Weight

Right now I pull back 50 pounds, and pretty easily. I feel I could definitly increase what I'm pulling back. If I increase it by 5-10 lbs, will I even notice a difference in performance, or enough to warrant me increasing it? I'm not an expert on that kind of stuff and I definitly appreciate any feedback!

Old 08-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Incresasing My Pullback Weight

If your bow has room to tighten the limb bolts,find the proper size allen wrench and turn each limb bolt the same amount until you get the bow where you want it poundage wise.Yes,it will improve your bows performance so long as you have the proper arrow spine to still give good flight.One full turn is usually 2-3 lbs. of draw weight.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:34 PM

exactly what isasker said,make sure your spine is still gonna be good and ur gonna have to sight in your sight again but just download eastons tuneupguide here and it will help you to proper tune it http://eastonarchery.com
Old 08-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

remember when you turn your draw weight up do 1/4 turn incriments and draw back.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll concur with the other guys about arrow spine. You still have to have stiff enough arrows to shoot well even after turning the weight up. Another caution, though. Don't get too carried away with it. 10# is a lot to change. Your muscles will need time to adapt. I'd recommend no more than 5# to begin with. Shoot the bow at about 55# for a while (a month) and if need be and you can handle it turn it up a little more. Just be sure that as hunting season approaches that you can still draw the bow easily and aim steady. You don't want to have to struggle with it when in hunting conditions. AGAIN, be sure your arrows are of stiff enough spine to handle the increased weight, or accuracy especially with broadheads, can suffer dramatically.

Believe me, an accurate, good flying arrow at 50# is a whole lot better than a poor flying one at 60#.If your arrows are wiggling around when they hit a deer you won't see better penetration than with the lower weight. The only thing you'll bedoing is expending more energy to draw the bow.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your bow has room to tighten the limb bolts,find the proper size allen wrench and turn each limb bolt the same amount until you get the bow where you want it poundage wise.
That is true as long as your tiller is set correctly to begin with.

As far as adding performance, I'm not sure what you mean. It will increase your bows energy, but you will probably have to re-tune your setup and may even have to change the spine of your arrow. Will you notice the increased energy - probably.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can pull more, do it, just make sure that the new weight is going to allow you hunt efectively. I know I could pull 75-80 pounds on the indoor range, but out in the tree, there's no way with the nerves going. My bow is at 65# for hunting, and that's good for me! I would say stick with what you are comfortable with, it's not a big macho contest to see who can pull the most weight!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

all are correct also strenghten arms
Old 09-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Adding weight also adds increased risk of shoulder injury and/or long term damage . If it ain't broke why fix it ? A fifty pound set up in good tune is more than enough to take down any deer .
Old 09-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont do it , its the wrong time of year for that , you should be tuned and practiceing with broadheads only , until the end of season . Then fiddel with your bow .

Quick Reply: Incresasing My Pullback Weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.