Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FOC Again

Old 07-30-2006, 10:22 PM

Default FOC Again

I know this subject has been beat to death and I've done a search and read lots about it but myquestion is my FOC is at 8.2% with the arrows I'm shooting now. Question #1 I only use my bow for hunting so do I need to up that % and will I be able to tell the differance between what I have now and 10% FOC or even 11%. Question #2 what is the best way to get my % up if needed. My arrows (gold tip XT Hunters) measure out at 28" I have 4" Dura vanes with a wrap and 90 grain field points. Any input would be great I might not have to mess with it but if it will help my accuraccy I'll change. Does anyone now what an insert and nock typically weigh and I suppose I should include the weight of the wrap does anyone now what they weigh. Maybe I should just leave it and practice, not sure what to do here.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FOC Again

FOC helps in the woods when theres a breeze and your arrow needs to correct itself fast, or if it ever so slightly hits a small twig or something in flight, it will need to fix itself before it hits the deer.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Dominant Buck

All you have to do is go to a heavier head. BUT.... it might throw your spine all out. Go to http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery.htmland use the arrow shaft selection tab to see what it does for your arrow if you change to the heavier head. I was running about 13.5 before I changed to QuickSpins. I got to check and see what it's done to me.

Dang... I just did it. I found out I'm down to like 8.6 They shoot well with and without broadheads. I guess it would be slightly higher with my longer broadheads.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watch your spine, but off hand I'd suggest raising the tip weight and dumping the wraps.
I know the wrap option is the less convenient, but if you end up refletching they are toast anyways. They weigh ~10 grains each, so subtracting 10 from the rear and adding 10 to the front should tip you forwards pretty good. This option would keep your speed the same.

Start with the head weight though, it's the easiest to play with.

Off hand I know muzzy makes a 90 grain head and Thunderhead an 85. If you're shooting muzzies you could try a 100 and 115 before jumping into the 125's.

The link Davidmil posted is a great place to play, I go there often

Measuring your FOC is the best way to see what you've got.
The "beatinga dog to death" thread gives good advice on how to do so.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1622831
Old 08-02-2006, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the advise guys, last night i broke down and bought an arrow fletcher, I went to my local graphix store and got some left .2 mil vinyl and made my own wraps 1"x21/2" and some blazer viens, fletched up three arrows and boy am I impressed, tightest groups I've shot so far. I figure my wraps should now be about 5 grains.

224 Grain Arrow
10 Grain nock
15 Grain insert
85 Grain Montec G5 broadhead
15 Grains worth of vane's
5 Grain Wrap

Should give me an FOC of about 9.6% which is good enough for me especially after shooting last night my groups where tight.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing beats tight broadhead groups.
Sounds like you got the hard part overwith, now the easy part is tricking some animal to stand in position long enough for you to deflate it