Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletchings

Old 07-26-2006, 07:59 PM

Default fletchings

I am shooting 400gr Easton epics with 4" fletchings. The guys down at cabelas told me when it was time to refletch them, to go back with blazer 2" fletchings. Theywere shooting better patterns and increasing a little in speed. Does anyone have any feedback or is this a crock? How would less weight in the back affect it?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:06 PM

Default RE: fletchings

Welcome aboard! Run a search for Blazers in the forums and you'll have reading material for days!

Blazers are simply awesome. The work very, very well. Yes, they are a little lighter so you'll lose a little weight in the tail, but not much and not enough to worry about. That was no crock, buddy. I love em!!
Old 07-26-2006, 08:10 PM

I appreciate the info. Thanks
Old 07-27-2006, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blazers are great...you can't go wrong there.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome.... yes I have to agree, though I haven't tried them you probably can't go wrong with the blazers. Me I will use my 4" turkey wing feathers.[8D]
Old 07-27-2006, 10:45 AM

i used the blazer this spring for a trial... they didn't increase my speed any, but they did fly as good as the 4" feathers that i use now. the one thing about the blazer is that they are smaller, so if you make an error while shooting it will be enhanced. also, when shooting a fixed blade broadhead they will simple not track as good as a full length vane or feather. i believe this is a marketing gimick; don't waste your time and money... the benefits as simply too small to waste your time... great vane for the target shooter though.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:20 AM

I have been using the Blazers since they came out and I think they are awesome. They are smaller but stiffer which allows them to stabilize the arrow. I have weighed dozens of them and they average around 5.8 grains. I don't know how much speed you would pick up from using them. I didn't see any significant gains myself.

What I did see is a much tougher vane. If you ever shot through a target with Duravanes, they are usually trashed. Blazers can be shot through a target multiple times and they are still going strong. Now I'm not talking a 3D target. Those will tear up most anything. They will also stand up to being hit by another arrow better than Duravanes. This adds up to re-fletching arrows less often.

As far as stabilizing a broadhead, I use fixed blade heads with cutting diameters from 1" to 1-1/4" and they fly great out to 40 yards.

I build my own arrows and I won't use anything else.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't go wrong with blazers...no crock!
Old 07-27-2006, 06:50 PM

also, when shooting a fixed blade broadhead they will simple not track as good as a full length vane or feather. i believe this is a marketing gimick;
While I respect your opinion, I disagree. We've done extensive testing at the shop and they work equally as well as a 4" vane or feather, w/ the exception of big, heavy arrows. By heavy, I mean over 500gr.

I tested them as well. First, I shot a Magnus Stinger on my 425 gr. hunting arrow flying 285 fps into the deer target from 25 yards fletched w/ a 5" feather. Next, same set up only w/ Blazers. I shot a feather off of the first arrow. Believe me, they fly very well.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:02 PM

thanks for the input mobowhuntr. I will take it into great consideration. This is my second year to bow hunt, and it is time to refletch a few.

Quick Reply: fletchings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.