Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 i hate to admit it, but........... >

i hate to admit it, but...........

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

i hate to admit it, but...........

Old 07-24-2006, 09:11 PM

Default i hate to admit it, but...........

i sold my patriot to a neighbor boy and bought a switchback. let's get one thing straight - i hate mathews. i'm not affiliated with them or any other bow company. i wasn't going to pay $600 for a 2nd tier bowtech (diamond victory), there aren't any ross or elite dealers anywhere near here - i just don't like the feel of a hoyt - i really can't stand the feel of a binary cam (would have given the barnsdale limbs a shot though) - so what am i left with? mathews.

i hate to admit it, but its a heckuva bow. the factory strings and cables are fantastic!!!!!!!! they stink!!!! keepin' me in business. the cable is about 1,000 strands (kidding) and the string is only 18 strands of 452x - i know - i did a burn test on it. 18 strands is how they're picking up some speed in their ibo ratings. its too low for a 70# string. it should be 20. bcy would like it to be 22, but we're after performance here.

anyhoo, the bow is whisper quiet. its far quieter than any bowtech or hoyt i've seen shot. its fast enough - but not as fast as the other 2 parallel limb flagship bows. the thing is - if you're comparing it to a bowtech you need to compare a 70# SB to a 64# bowtech - because a 70# SB feels at least as smooth as a 64# bowtech and probably smoother - and easier overall to draw. its a very nicebow. outfitted with a copper john dead nuts pro III,a mathews hd rest (i think its a nap smartrest), a doinker 4 bar something or other stab - and a copper john 2 finger eagle release - which i'll put up a review of sometime - i like it.

i cut my fingeralmost in halfgetting the grip off with a chisel. the front of the riser is wider than the back without agrip. i don't like that.i'llprobably be getting a custom grip for it - a tronjo, johnson, or some othergrip with edges or just sideplates. i can still shoot the snot out of it, but it doesn't feel as good without a grip as my patriot or constitution.it has much less nock travel than my patriot though- andat 70# draws way easier than my 60# consti. this is a very good hunting bow! smoooth,plenty fast29" draw, 375 gr arrow - new 18 strand 8125 string (pic below)- i'd bet i'm pushing 290 - andthere is nothing to hear - and like it or not - speed doesn't do it when hunting - and its a hunting bow- quiet does it when hunting. i hate to admit it but its a heckuva bow and i'm very happy with it so far.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i hate to admit it, but...........

So did you buy it brand new?

I looked hard at the Switchback but felt it was too close to my Patriot to consider it for an upgrade. Sweet bow though, had it not been for the Pat I would haveowned one.

Congrats on your new bow!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:59 AM

yep, i bought it brand new.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:35 AM

Nice bow Gibblet. Tronjo grip would be a good choice. How do you like that arrow rest?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:47 AM

a buddy of mine sold it to me for $25 brand new in the package(the arrow rest) - he bought out a signed shooter who quit archery and has all kinds of stuff.
it is very, very nice. it can be shot as a drop away, and you can change out the drop away launcher with provided prongs for a fixed position rest. it form fits the riser and is extremely quiet. its got great micro-adjustability with windage and spring tension.

also a comment on the dead nuts pro III - its got great adjustability and the 2nd and 3rd axis are easy enough to set. the extension bar is removable with a quick turn of a knob - which i may do if going in somewhere very thick. its not micro-adjustable - which i don't mind at all in a sight - and its not built like a tank like a spot hogg. it is light and seems like it will be a good hunting site. i like the small pins. it also doesn't cost near as much as a spot hogg.

my neighbor shoots a bowtech, and we're both having to eat some words after shooting and listening to the switchback. we've both had to admit its quite a bow. its still hard to say the name outloud - the 'M' name - but its a really nice machine.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, that a good looking bow, very nice string too! Just curious though, why did you sell your Patriot?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:55 AM
bigcountry

You mean to tell me 18 strands of 452plus with 150lbs or more breakin strength per strandain't enough. Goodness, in this day we got some of the strongest strings ever in archery.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 AM

its not 450+, its 452x - big difference big country - the strands are about half the size of what you're thinking and the breaking pt is just under 80#.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heh..........and I didn't think you were coming out of the closet. Congrats.........they really are an awesome hunting bow. Don't know why they get so much bad press........[8D]

They are faster than they get credit for as well, one of our other shop shooters is using his for 3D and is getting 293 @ 28" and 70lbs at 5gpp. Thats plenty fast.

Why the 8125? Just curious............
Old 07-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the new Switchback gibblet and I know you will like it. See, it goes to prove that everyone has different tastes and a different feel for a bow. In my case I shot both a Switchback and SB XT and was very close to buying the Switchback. But I had to shoot a new BT Patriot("05) first and though the Switchback was deader in the hand and a good accurate bow, I found the Patriot met everything I wanted in a bow. For me the Patriot was just as accurate, a tad faster and smoother drawing. I do not like the way the Switchback begins its draw cycle and the Patriot was smooth all the way back.

By the way, I was not real fond of the Binary cam draw cycle either, hence part of my reasoning for buying the Patriot.

Quick Reply: i hate to admit it, but...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.