Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 wb causing vane wear? >

wb causing vane wear?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

wb causing vane wear?

Old 07-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default wb causing vane wear?

I have been doing pretty much shooting now with the diamond victory I got at the end of last season. Now I have a sweet range set up in the yard where I can shoot out to 50 yards at my new Glendel buck.
My problem is that the vanes on my gold tip carbons are really taking a beating.
Question #1: Is this normal?

Question #2: If this is normal, is the solution that I need to get into refletching my own arrows now? The carbons are great.... so happy that I have switched from aluminum... they do not show any wear at all, but the vane are all wrinkled and wavey.

Up until I bought this bow, I never had a wb ... always had a 2 prong rest, so this problem isa new one to me. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
DW
Old 07-17-2006, 05:05 PM

Default RE: wb causing vane wear?

That is the only negative I have w/ the WB. BUT, it can be remedied. Use a hair dryer to heat the vanes up and USUALLY they will flatten back out as you run your fingers over them.

Blazers are the best I've found w/ the WB, they don't wrinkle at all. If you need to refletch your arrows, you will need the fletching jig of your choice and the glue of your choice. You will need something to scrape the old glue off. There are some commercially available fletching strippers out there that work very well. I just use the serrated edge of a pocket knife, you just have to be careful not to cut the carbon.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Why oh why do people use WB's? I think they are the absolute worst rest on the market.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Matchbook454

Why oh why do people use WB's? I think they are the absolute worst rest on the market.
Don't say something like that and not explain why......so, WHY? They are absolutely awesome! For the spot and stalk hunter, there is none better, IMHO. Ok, you lose 2 or 3 fps, and they might be hard on some vanes, but they are easy to install, easy to tune, have NO moving parts and are very durable.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Hey mobowhunter, thank you for the informative reply.I really appreciate when a guy who knows something is willing to share it.
Thanks again.
DW
Old 07-17-2006, 06:35 PM

Anytime, my friend. One of these times it will be YOU answering something for me, and I would expect the same. That's what makes this place go round, ya know?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with mobo, my wife shot a WB and when she went to Blazers the wrinkles went away. WIth duravanes, she had seen some wear, but then retuned the WB and when it was properly tuned the wear decreased. They are definitely a good rest, just look at how many are out there being used.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

i had the same problem with my prong rest only happenedwhen i shot on hot days vanes cant take the heatso i switched to feathers and now i have a wb and no problems
Old 07-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

also people shoot a too smal wb, they are often set up with an alum. biscuit for carbon arrows, and yes it does make some noise but the deer really arent gonna notice
Old 07-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great job mobow, tho I'm not a WB fan, your posts are top notch.

Quick Reply: wb causing vane wear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.