Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead opinions? >

Broadhead opinions?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead opinions?

Old 07-14-2006, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead opinions?

I know the Mech vs Fixed issue has been beat to death here... but here is mydilema.

I love Rky Mnt Snypers (mech). I've killed two antelope and a deer with them, and none of the animals went more than 30 yrds. I will continue to use these heads for deer... Its my opinion that I'd rather increase my accuracy chances and I like the design of them opposed to the flip back type. Besides, Im pumping about 65-66 ft-lbs of KE so im not to worried bout the KE loss of opening.

BUT. I have a bear on our property on my cuddeback that we estimatecould be over400lbs. Ive heard of many guys killin bear w/ mechs.. but for this case (bear hunting)im choosing to put as much KE into cutting as possible.

So now comes the question... I need to choose btwn Magnus stingers (bleeder blades) and Muzzy 3 blade. Assuming i can get both to shoot equally accurate outta my setup which should choose?

Basically I just want opinions of both heads. I've had a Muzzy not punch all the way through a deer shoulder blade at 5 yrds (65lb Mathews Q2 @ 245fps), and ive also killed 3 deer w/ muzzy at a max of 35 yrds... So im torn... I like the cut on contact of the magnus and I tested them last year and they are very tough head. So any opinions will be appreciated.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadhead opinions?

I thinkANY of the heads you mentioned would be fine. That said, I love the stingers.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:23 AM

I love a cut-on-contact broadhead. I guess that means I would choose the Stingers.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

I know the Mech vs Fixed issue has been beat to death here... but here is mydilema.

I love Rky Mnt Snypers (mech). I've killed two antelope and a deer with them, and none of the animals went more than 30 yrds. I will continue to use these heads for deer... Its my opinion that I'd rather increase my accuracy chances and I like the design of them opposed to the flip back type. Besides, Im pumping about 65-66 ft-lbs of KE so im not to worried bout the KE loss of opening.

BUT. I have a bear on our property on my cuddeback that we estimatecould be over400lbs. Ive heard of many guys killin bear w/ mechs.. but for this case (bear hunting)im choosing to put as much KE into cutting as possible.

So now comes the question... I need to choose btwn Magnus stingers (bleeder blades) and Muzzy 3 blade. Assuming i can get both to shoot equally accurate outta my setup which should choose?

Basically I just want opinions of both heads. I've had a Muzzy not punch all the way through a deer shoulder blade at 5 yrds (65lb Mathews Q2 @ 245fps), and ive also killed 3 deer w/ muzzy at a max of 35 yrds... So im torn... I like the cut on contact of the magnus and I tested them last year and they are very tough head. So any opinions will be appreciated.
The snyper you are using would be fine for the bear or you can check out the Rage broadhead site at www.ragebroadheads.com. They have some bear pictures that were taken this year on there. It's the same design as the snyper bur a bigger cutting diameter.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im not a fan of larger cutting diameter.. I dont want to sacrifice that much penetration... Im thinking of trying the Rage 3blade w/ cut on contact tip. It looks like one mean headand they didnt go overboard w/ cutting diameter.

Also, I can get the Snyper at Dicks for 1/2 the price of the new rage heads.... Well see.. im sure in a few weeks i'll geta package of the 3blade rage to carry in my quiver...
Old 07-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Muzzy's are good but stingers are ten times the broadhead that a Muzzy is.

Much stronger, sharper, and fly better.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:42 AM
Spike

I use both you will always get better penetration with a 2 blade that is asequally sharp as a 3 blade.

Having said that both are excellent heads. I would go for the stinger for the penetration, that is one hell of a big bear you have there.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:15 AM

Check out the new ss magnus snuffers. 5 shot gave them a very good rating.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ed, although I think this thread doesn't belong in the Tech forum...

I wouldn't have a problem taking a bear with a Rocky Mt. Snyper with your setup, bears hair is thicker but their hides are thinner, any setup for a whitetail is a good setup for a black bear. I personally use Snypers along with Muzzy's and I'm very impressed with Snypers...very impressed.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:22 AM

Stingers. Simply amazing. But I think your current heads will get the job done.

Quick Reply: Broadhead opinions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.