Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Cutting down Carbon arrows queston >

Cutting down Carbon arrows queston

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cutting down Carbon arrows queston

Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cutting down Carbon arrows queston

I am starting to make my own arrows but hate to go buy a arrow saw for $150 when I will only use it a few times a yr prolly. Alum. arrows you used to be able to use small pipe cutter but I was told this smashes carbon arrows but I haven't tried it yet. I just hate paying so much for something I will not use much and I hate paying the outragest prices the bowshops here charge you to cut a arrow shaft down. a $1 per arrow [:'(]

If anyone knows a cheaper way or tool that will work on Carbon arrows please let me know.

Trytan
Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cutting down Carbon arrows queston

there is another thread on this in the forum, check it out.

But i bought a Harbor Freight saw on ebay for $24. 7800 rpm, and works great on carbon arrows.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

well you can pay that much for a saw or a 1$ an arrow plain and simple you would have to cut almost 13 dozen arrows to make the saw pay for itself
Old 07-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Imade an arrowsaw with the one from Harbor freight works great!
Old 07-11-2006, 04:29 PM

I've started a tread in regard to this topic and huntinged gave a great, inexpensive solution with the harbor freight saw - but I think you have to make the jig. I was more concerned with taking the time and driving to the the place than paying them to do the arrows themselves. I think ed's soulution is going to be your best bet. I learned on that thread that you need the high rpm's to keep from splintering the shafts.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Yea I bought 1 off Ebay and waiting for it to arrive. Payed like $22 for the saw and like $11 for shipping I think it was. Well worth it. I sure my couple of hunting buddies will also be pestering me about cutting down there shafts for them also so I sure it will pay for itself really fast. Thanks for all the help.

Trytan
Old 07-13-2006, 07:13 AM

I used the Harbor Freight saw for a couple of years with good results. However, I got one of the Cabela's 8,000 rpm saws for Fathers Day and realize that I should have gone this route from the beginning. It is very fast, very accurate, quiet and much easier to use. I don't even need the G5 squaring tool any more.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:22 PM

I haven't cut arrows yet, but I was under the impression you used something like this. Just need a good eye & steady hand - make sure to cut square. Really the air cutter seems like it would be easier, but the grinder cuts on the same principle. I'd be interested in hearing what others think about this as well!

Old 07-13-2006, 07:51 PM

Here is a link to the Haborfreight minisaw that many of us use.
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do
if the link does'nt work correctly you can surch by item # which is 42307.

I have been use'ing mine for about 3 years now and it does a great job,
though i only have cut aluminum shafts it is capable to do carbon shafts as well . I have been happy with it.
Best 20.00 bucks i've spent..
I do not have it setup on a jig ,a tape measure and fineline marker work just fine.
So whatever you decide good luck and have fun.
Bill
Old 07-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

Do you guys cut straight through the shafts or do you rotate them?? I would assume with the high rpms you could just cut right through it but want to be sure. What other tools are you using with the saw to finish the arrows before the inserts are put in?? I want to get one and do my own arrows also but want to make sure it is done right too!!! Thanks

Quick Reply: Cutting down Carbon arrows queston

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.