Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 to loop or not to loop? >

to loop or not to loop?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

to loop or not to loop?

Old 07-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default to loop or not to loop?

to shoot from a string loop or no loop...that is the question?? im going to be ordering my first bow here this week or in a tad over 2weeks. depends on the pay check and my ebay sales lol. but they will put on a string loop free if i want it, if i dont they wont put one on. ive never shot either. i dont know what i should go with. any advice to steer me in the right direction hopefully?? i kinda think a loop would be more accurate by having the pressure point directly behind the arrow, but i tend to think into things a little much, thats just how my mind works. thats why i SHOULD have been an engineer, but my grades just dont allow that lol. i can think into things and figure stuff out, but cant pass freakin chemistry! lol
Old 07-10-2006, 04:46 PM

Default RE: to loop or not to loop?

I've shot a release for years, but never used a loop. I'd like to hear others experiences who know about it.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

First year using one and so far I like it. I am still a little paranoid as I check the ends before each shot, but I now install my own and that makes me feel better. If you shoot a short axle to axle bow, a string loop is necessary in my opinion.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:18 PM

If you aren't sure , buy a bow with a cam that has an adjustable drawlength. Putting a loop on a bow is easy. I like using a loop and having my release directly behind the arrow nock.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:34 PM

A loop is one more thing to go wrong.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

well what is the ata on the bow, if its a shorter ata it would be better with a string loop.I personally like them, have it put on and then if you decide you dont like it take it off, that way you wont have to pay
Old 07-10-2006, 05:58 PM

I'll put it this way;

There is no good reason not to use a loop.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm shooting my first loop this year and I'm impartial. I do believe when you go below 36" ATA it might be a good idea, thus my first loop on my Allegiance.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:57 PM

Here's a test to see what difference it makes in arrow torque. Have someone draw the bow to full draw with a loop and hold it there. Put your finger under the arrow just behind the rest and push up. You'll notice that you can lift the arrow easily.

Now let the bow down and put the release under the loop to similate drawing it without using a loop. Have the bow pulled to full draw again and perform the same test. You will now see how much downward pressure is put on the arrow.

The longer draw lengths with the shorter ATA bows will really put pressure/bend on the arrow.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:22 PM

Good answer/point Len

Quick Reply: to loop or not to loop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.