Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 sight vs rest vs knocks >

sight vs rest vs knocks

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

sight vs rest vs knocks

Old 06-21-2006, 02:09 PM

Default RE: sight vs rest vs knocks

Invest in a set of knock pliers..< than $10
Old 06-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks turtleshell, but I have some that I bought today. I used them to put the new ones on, but couldn't figure out how to use them to get the old knocks off, is there a trick to it?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

typically in the front half of the pliers there is a tooth-like projection... place the edge of the tooth at the seam of the nock and squeeze... it should separate the nock for ya...
Old 06-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess Ibought the cheapies, my "Bear Knocking Pliers" don't have that feature.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

All the advice you have gotten so far has been good. The nocking pt. on the string is obviously too high. I am suspicious about how it got that high though. Was your other rest set well above the rest mounting holes? Did this just happen recently? How old is your string, and do you fasten your release directly to the string? Sorry for so many questions, but I once had a nocking point that was moving up and needed to retune twice. When I took the center serving off the string, several strands of the string had broken due to the pressure of my release. The string was stretching badly, and was close to breaking, but there was no way to tell with the serving still on. Wouldn't want you to get the bow all retuned, then have your string break on you.[:@]
Old 06-22-2006, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the concern Joe, my other rest (Quicktune 800) was set at the "high" setting, and if I look at it I guess the tips of the rest would have been at the top of the berger button holes. This is my 1st bow, I guess the string is about 4yrs old, but I haven't shot alot untill the last 2yrs, and I wax it often. I do clip my release directly to the string. I haven't noticed a trend of having to adjust my sights in one direction, but I probably wouldn't have noticed that because I'm always changing the distances that my pins are set for. When I removed my upper knocks (2 small ones) everything looked fine, but the serving did look compressed beneath the lower knock (1 large one).
So, how dangerous is a string breaking at full draw, both to myself and my bow? I guess I could measure from axle to axle, shot a few sessions, then measure again to see if it is stretching.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:47 AM

you don't want to know about a string breaking at full draw.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

So if I am reading this correctly, you have shot "a lot" for the last 2 years, and shoot directly off the string with a release. If it were me, I'd definitely get a new string before going any further, but that's me. From what I see on here, you probably can't get a better string than those made by your fellow Canadian gibblet. You might want to contact him for advice.

BTW, if you shoot with full body armor and a helmet with a strong face shield, you should be fine if a string lets go at full draw.[8D] If you don't take these precautions, then like gibblet said, you don't want a string to break at full draw, and neither does your bow.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Time to replace the string , 4 years is old . Id do that and then start the tuneing process , do your cabels allso
Old 06-22-2006, 10:55 AM

i'm honored that you thought i was a canadien, but i'm a north carolinian -as a matter of fact - a hillbilly one.

Quick Reply: sight vs rest vs knocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.