Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

painting arrows

Old 06-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default painting arrows

I read in a mag this week that painting your arrows white will help you to see the arrow's flight better.
I would like to try this on a few arrows, has anyone else here done this ?, and what kind of paint ya think would work best?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:54 PM

Default RE: painting arrows

I got into this a few months back but haven't pursued it since. I sanded my arrow down about 6-7 inches and taped up and spraypainted it. Then put it in the crestor and made some designs. It wouldn't hold a fletch though. I might just go to wraps instead.

The purpose is to help you find your arrow once its in the ground.

This pic is one I painted and crested using Trembow's design.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:00 PM

It's pretty easy. Remove the nock, or tape over it. Tape around the arrow where you want the cresting to stop, and then tape down the arrow so the overspray doesn't get on it. I would use a good lacquer and spray evenly. Let it dry, and voila. There you have it. The largest problem w/ doing this, as the duc man so eloquently put it, is most glue "melts" the paint. Now, if you don't use too much spilling out the side of the fletch, it's not noticeable. Or, you could use fletching tape. That will work too.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:03 PM

Fletching tape? Hmmm...Mobow I still think I am going to get into wraps. I hear its pretty easy to remove when doing a refletching job, correct?
Old 06-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here you go, it's called cresting and one of our own posted an instructional thread on how to build your own machine if you choose that path and how to crest....lots of good reading on this link. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1399868&mpage=1
Old 06-19-2006, 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

Fletching tape? Hmmm...Mobow I still think I am going to get into wraps. I hear its pretty easy to remove when doing a refletching job, correct?
Indeed, it is pretty easy. A hair dryer and some alcohol and you're all set.

Yes, fletching tape. You've not heard of it?? It's just double sided tape, really narrow. The trad guys use it alot and mostly it's used for feathers. But I happen to know it works on Blazers as well.

Rob's thread is a good one if you want to crest your arrows. Cresting looks really awesome when done correctly, and you will most likely have an arrow pattern nobody else does.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for going back in the archives and finding that one, Rob! Saved me some searching...

Rob's thread, huh mobow? [:-]What's a guy got to do to get a little credit around here?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use white arrow wraps, would do the same thing I suspect and has a little design to it and possibly better to fletch! Just MHO[8D]
Old 06-20-2006, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Thanks for going back in the archives and finding that one, Rob! Saved me some searching...

Rob's thread, huh mobow? [:-]What's a guy got to do to get a little credit around here?
AWE CRAP!!!!!! LMAO.......what I meant to say was Rob's LINK....not thread........SOB....I did it again.....

For the record, that was GREG's thread, and I honestly didn't do that on purpose......my apologies.....
Old 06-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks to all for the reply's !
There's some great looking arrows in that thread. I'm thinkin mine may be a bit more basic.
Now if i can just find that old drill....

Quick Reply: painting arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.