Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

form question

Old 06-18-2006, 09:51 AM

Default form question

Are you supposed to have a slight bend in your bow arm when you shoot? As you know I am brand new to bows, and when i went to the shop to shoot the guy who helped me out said to have a slight bend in your bow arm.. Yet when i see pictures and videos of guys shooting it does not look like they do this.

Thanks

Patrick Dougherty
Old 06-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: form question

Yes it helps you to not hit your forarm when you shoot
Old 06-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

an appropiate grip on the bow will prevent hitting your arm. 90% of accomplished target archers will not shoot with a bend in their arm.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:47 PM

You can have a slight bend in your arm or a straight arm, just don't lock it at the elbow. Most target shooters use a straight arm and hunters tend to use a slight bend (if they are not overdrawing their bow).

Paul
Old 06-19-2006, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

You can have a slight bend in your arm or a straight arm, just don't lock it at the elbow. Most target shooters use a straight arm and hunters tend to use a slight bend (if they are not overdrawing their bow).

Paul
This helps us hunter to not hit the winter jackets most of us wear while hunting , say deer in november .
Old 06-19-2006, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess Rick James is in that 10% as the photo in his aviator shows
Old 06-19-2006, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

That pic was taken quite a while ago....I am now shooting with a straight arm for the most part. I also wouldn't consider myselfaccomplished.........lol.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:09 AM

a good test is to go lean on a tree with a bent arm and time it, and then a straight arm. i think you'll see which way is easier to hold.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. Straighter arm is better (just don't lock it). I used to have alot of bend. I lengthened by draw a bit (against the advice of my bow shop) and I became much more accurate. I'm able to hold the bow steadier w/ a straighter arm. Plus Ipicked up speed withthe longer draw length.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:39 AM

I've found that shooting too much with a bent arm can result in injury. I'm going through physical therapy for tendonitis in my bow arm. It is a result of trying to shoot with the bent bow arm.

Like Paul posted, don't lock it either. That will probably hurt you faster than bent.

I think that the elbow should be balanced so that the forces are going through the joint with the least muscle involvment possible. This is how the Korean kids can shoot 1,000 arrows a day without injury.

Quick Reply: form question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.