Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 fletching feathers help Please!!! >

fletching feathers help Please!!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletching feathers help Please!!!

Old 06-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default fletching feathers help Please!!!

Hi,

This is my first time fletching feathers. I am using a right helical jig. I notice alot of inconsistancy on the way the feather sits on the shaft. Is this common with feathers? Any tricks on the set up witha Bitzenberger?
I have one seated fine then one has a bit that is not seated on the shaft and the last one is not seated on the side of the feather.
I dontunderstand why?

Old 06-09-2006, 08:46 PM

Default RE: fletching feathers help Please!!!

Feathers usually do not have as consitent of a base as a plastic fletching. Many prefer fletching tape for feathers but personally I haven't tried it. Maybe someone else can chime in with advice on that.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:35 PM

Not much help here just glad to see somebody besides me still uses feathers instead of vanes
Old 06-10-2006, 06:47 AM
Banned

I don't know. I have a bitz too and have fletched tons of feathers on mine with no issues.I would have to see yours t osee what is going on. Have you taken off the metal magnet protector off? My boy was having issues one day and he didn't know to take this off.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

All i've ever used is feathers and i also use a bitz jig and i haven't had a problem with inconsistancy. I set the bitz up per the instructions and make sure the setup feather (first feather i want to fletch) is sitting with the base flat on the shaft from front to back (without adhesive). Use the two adjustment screws on the bitz to get the first feather seatedexactly where you want itand tighten everything down.Take the jig off the magnet with the feather attached, apply adhesive, and then glue the first feather down. The others should fletchthe same way as long as you're repeating the way you put the feather in the jig and seating it with the magnet on the shaft the same way. I use three feathers and this is the way i fletch and like i said i don't have a problem with inconsistancy. Good luck and i hope you get it worked out. >---------------> Mike
Old 06-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always used feathers and found Tru-Flite have the most consistant base--Gateways are too irregular.I put feathers on big,fat wood shafts down to small carbons and always get good contact with the Tru-Flite's.Another thing to consider:it's absolutely important that you use right wing feathers with a right wing clamp.Fletching tape works very well also--just put a drop of glue on the leading and back edges of the feathers after they're fletched.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

You could have a bad batch of feathers, mixed type of feathers, or something is not tight on your fletcher. I use Gateway feathers and have not had a single problem with them being consistent. The bases and length are all the same. Mine are fletching great.

Make sure your dealer is selling you feathers of the same brand and type. I had one dealer try to sell feathers that were not of the same brand...they were inconsistent in base width and even the length was a tad different.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use feathers all the time. I noticed sometimes it looks like the feathers aren't on right. When I fletch, I coat the arrow, then lower the clamp on so the back hits first and ease slowly forward. Then I hold the finger on with slight pressure to assure it is seated. I let them dry for about 15 minutes or more letting the clamp hold it in place. Then I move on to the next. Once done I put a little dab of fletch cement on the tips to prevent peeling back going through the WB. I have never had one strip off unless hit by another arrow, and no flight problems and I think looks can be deceiving because when you hold it up to light there is no gap and as I said no stripping or inconsistency in flight. Usually fly true and most fly the same.[8D][8D]
Old 06-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same problem changed to Tru Flite feathers problem gone![8D]
Old 06-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Play with the Bitz's adjustments and go with Tru Flights.
You get a bit more rest clearance with them too since the bases are thinner.

Quick Reply: fletching feathers help Please!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.