Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Does it REALLY Make A Difference? >

Does it REALLY Make A Difference?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Does it REALLY Make A Difference?

Old 06-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Does it REALLY Make A Difference?

ORIGINAL: CAJUNBOWHNTR

I'm allways amazed by fellas who will pay a grand for a bow set up and then want to buy cheap arrows.You'd be better off with a $300 used bow and some acc's.

CB

EGG - XACTLY ....
Old 06-02-2006, 09:40 PM

I think it does make a difference.
Problem is I just cant watch myself spend 100 plus on arrows
Old 06-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CAJUNBOWHNTR

I'm allways amazed by fellas who will pay a grand for a bow set up and then want to buy cheap arrows.You'd be better off with a $300 used bow and some acc's.

CB
I agree. Guys don't consider that a bow is just a launch pad for an arrow. Some just do it faster than others. What an arrow does after it leaves the bow is what's important, especially with broadheads.

Anything you read about aligning broadheads with a shaft usually say that even a couple thousandths of an inch of wobblecan make a huge difference in broadhead flight. Well, how do you expect to get the best, truest flight with an arrow that is .006" (.012 TIR)?

I'm not going to say that it's necessary to buy arrows straight to .001" when .003" is plenty good. Think about it, .003" is half of .006". And often the difference in price between them is only about $20/doz. And as pointed out straightness is not the only issue when buying arrows. Better quality means tighter tolerances from one shaft to another within a dozen.

The question that often comes up is whether this means much to the average guy. Have you ever thought that maybe this is one of the issues that keeps the average guy average?
Old 06-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with BG Fisher on this one. First of all, most cheap carbons don't really meet the specs they claim for them. Second, the spine is not considered too important by many companies. Third, how long can you shoot that arrow, and still have a straight arrow that spines right? I have wasted plenty of money trying cheap carbons, only to watch horrible runout at the nock end of the arrow, where it really makes things erratic. Put a decent sized broadhead on the arrow, and things get worse quickly. If you shoot mechanicals, you might not notice as much difference. Then again, the Carbon Tech Cheetah hunters I have spine and shoot very well, unlike the Wal-Mart Carbon Wolverines I got basically to shoot in the basement, and see just what they might do. Thousands of guys rely on these arrows every year. I won't be one of them.

In 1991, I bought a Bear First Strike bow. The limb pockets had so much slop that the limbs leaned towards the cable guard. To get the bow tuned, I had to adjust the arrow rest within 1/2" of the riser and shoot cock vane out to get riser clearance. Still that bow would shoot 3" groups at 50 yards, and had enough performance at 65# to kill any animal I would ever have a chance to hunt with it. Feed poor quality arrows to a new, 7-800 bow today, and you would be hard pressed to do any better, if as well. Better arrows have a more positive effect on shooting than the bow does most of the time.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

I use expensive arrows cause I have the money to...I have shot excellent with cheap ones though..Byron Ferguson can shoot a quarter out of the air all day and frisbies thrown behind his back with a mirror to look at and his cedar arrows don't have the exact tolerances that our cheap carbons of today have...there is some thought for you..go with your budget..cheap carbons perform well enough for 3D and hunting..Amazing that Fred Bear killed anything with out his fancy exact tolerance arrows and no Enigma camo
Old 06-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Amazing that Fred Bear killed anything with out his fancy exact tolerance arrows and no Enigma camo

TRUE THAT

Old 06-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Site Bouncer

I use expensive arrows cause I have the money to...I have shot excellent with cheap ones though..Byron Ferguson can shoot a quarter out of the air all day and frisbies thrown behind his back with a mirror to look at and his cedar arrows don't have the exact tolerances that our cheap carbons of today have...there is some thought for you..go with your budget..cheap carbons perform well enough for 3D and hunting..Amazing that Fred Bear killed anything with out his fancy exact tolerance arrows and no Enigma camo
I agree
Old 06-04-2006, 08:29 AM

Byron ferguson shoots aluminum.So did Fred Bear when they became available.They also were'nt shooting 275 fps.If money is an object cheap aluminums are better tolerance wise than cheap carbons,but you will be cheaper in the long run paying a little more for carbons because of their durability.

CB

Old 06-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

Amazing that Fred Bear killed anything with out his fancy exact tolerance arrows and no Enigma camo

TRUE THAT
The arrows Fred Bear used were far more consistant than 95% of the carbon arrows used today . He used enough fletching to stear the fixed head arrows he shot allso , something else "modren" archers try to get by with as littel as possable.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Modern archery equipment imparts a great deal more energy into the arrows than yesterday's stuff could . Whenever you increase the energy, you decrease the amount of acceptable tollerance you can have to stay in spec. The smallest imperfections get amplified and can cause big inconsistencies.
One problem with some cheaper carbons is that they are made in such a way that results in different spine values if you bend the shaft different ways. If I buy carbon again, I'll spend at least $100 per dozen.
I currently use aluminums, and shoot plenty tight for hunting out to 40 yds with XX75s. Cheap aluminums are much more forgiving than cheap carbons.

Quick Reply: Does it REALLY Make A Difference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.