Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Sight pins too bright or too big....try this. >

Sight pins too bright or too big....try this.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sight pins too bright or too big....try this.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Default Sight pins too bright or too big....try this.

I am using a Viper sight with the .029 pins and the Tru-glo fibers are very very bright. Very nice but I noticed a phenomona the other day when the sunlight is just right or just wrong.......whatever. At 30 yards I kept shooting right until I noticed very shortly that under the right conditions the red pin(30 yards) was so bright it was blobbing or doubling in size. I actually had to hold the red pin slightly left to be back dead on. What'd I do? I took a black permanent marker and ever so slightly touched the inside of the pin making it smaller. It was almost like painting a gnat's butt. Voila!!!!! Solved any extra glow caused by the light condition and making the red pin smaller is a bonus anyway. Sometimes I amaze myself with my cheap ingenuity but it saved me $8-$10 instead of ordering a .019 pin. Anyway, if anyone experiences the same problem its something they might want to try first.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:33 PM

Default RE: Sight pins too bright or too big....try this.

Very clever indeed!! Sometimes for a wrapped fibre sight I tape over some of the fibre coil.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:23 PM

some of the better know wrapped sight create this Halo effect you are talking about, or at least thats what ive learned from this forum.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:45 AM

you can still see a .019 red pin, good gravy you're doing pretty good. i can't see a red pin to save my life.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wait till you get to be my age you get the big pins and still can't see them. Wish I had your problem.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

you can still see a .019 red pin, good gravy you're doing pretty good. i can't see a red pin to save my life.
gibblet, I don't think I marker-blocked it enough to reduce it to a .019 size pin but it sure doesn't double in size now. Yes, my red pin on this sight is actually brighter than the green and yellow........first time I have ever had a red pin do that.

Mike, if you don't mind me asking how old are you? I just turned 52 and these pins on my Viper sight are the brightest I have ever seen.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if you guys have seen it or not but Black Gold has a sight out this year that has a clear plastic cover over the wrapped fibers. In low light conditions it remains clear for maximum brightness but when exposed to sunlight the plastic automatically darkens, reducing the brightness of your pins and eliminating the halo effect. Its a pretty cool idea and from what I've seen works well. I can't for the life of me remember what the name of it is, or find it online anywhere. Maybe someone else can help in that dept.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

I can't for the life of me remember what the name of it is, or find it online anywhere. Maybe someone else can help in that dept.
Justin, just found it on Montana Black Gold's website.....called the Flashpoint. Very interesting indeed.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cleaver Idea Cougar, one reason I went solely to the .019 pins on the sight I ordered from Viper that I'm still waiting on but am promised first one out...[&:] I can clearly see my .019 pins and actually was going to go with .010 for 40 and 50 yard pins, going green, yellow, red, green respectably.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a great idea! My 40 yard pin is just too large for my liking -- it covers too much of the spot I'm aiming at. I ordered smaller sights for the longer distance practice, but would like to decrease the 40 yard pin . . . and maybe the 30 too . . .

Quick Reply: Sight pins too bright or too big....try this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.