Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 regret going to 70lbs? >

regret going to 70lbs?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

regret going to 70lbs?

Old 05-17-2006, 12:36 AM

Default regret going to 70lbs?

Does anyone regret moving to 70lbs limbs. I have a mathews feathermax and really don't want anything newer (its ibo is still 310). I pulled back a few bows in the shop that "said" 70 and it honestly felt only slightly heavier than my 60....and my 60 is not heavy at all. Its been awhile since I've changed my setup, for 100 bucks I sorta have a new bow. Fair price...would anyone keep it at a lower weight?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: regret going to 70lbs?

I probably would.

After shooting 70 pounds for many years I found myself shooting more in the 60-65 pound range for hunting now and "only" 60 pounds for 3D. I have found that particular draw weight rangewith my setup to offer more than enough speed and kinetic energy to get a flat trajectory and excellent penetration. 70 pounds for my purposes is excessive. Keep in mind though that I have a 31 inch draw length.

But, even a person with a below average draw length....26-28 inches...should be able to get decent KE and speed numbers out of most of today's bows with a draw weight in that range.The efficiency of the current designs lends itself to as much.

Lastly, keep in mind your future. After many years of shooting a heavier draw weight alot of folks experience shoulder problems which negatively impact their shooting experience.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:12 AM
Banned

I shot 60# for years but last year I started cranking my bow up a few pounds a week till I peaked it at 70#. A bow performs best at it's peak weight and the arrows are a lot faster and a flatter trajectory now. My muscles built up to this easy and no regrets and very happy. At 70# one pin is covering all of your shots out to 25 yds with the others stacked tightly.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:29 AM

i'm not sure about a bow operating more effeciently at peak wt anymore. i believe that pivoting limb pockets have changed all that. i could give you an example of a 70# bow turned down to 60# shooting the same arrow the same speed as the same bow - same draw shooting the same speed with 60# limbs, but i don't think 1 example proves anything. i actually was told by someone i trust that a bow with pivoting limbs will shoot at pretty much peak efficiency up until the bolts are backed so far out that they fall out.

anybody know about this?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:32 AM
Banned

Yea ,I am curious as the guys at my pro shop said thatmy oldXtec and my newTrykon will perform best at their peak weight.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Excellent question....

I tried my Reflex Highlander in the bow shop at these weights:
65# - Original setup. Easy draw. No big deal.
72# - Maxed weight. Limb bolts cranked all the way in.
70# - Backed off a hair. Was okay, but the guys noticed me raising the bow a little while drawing it.
68# - Current setup. Backed off just a little more to where I can smoothly draw it, and it will still have tremendous speed, K/E, trajectory, etc...

Old 05-17-2006, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is a very good question that I've been wondering about this season ,I have been thinking of going to that next level whenI buy my new bow .
I was thinking of going to 70# over my current 60# bow in order to get some extra KE and speed for hunting. I know I'm quite capable of drawing this wieght, and that while hunting I most likely would only be getting 1 shot anyway's . The main reason is right now I'm drawing at 28" ,but have come to term's that 28" may be a tad long for me ,so in order to keep what I already have with speed and KE ,I was thinking of lowering my draw lenght to 27" and going to 70#. Just wondering if it's worth doing this ,or should I stay with60#. I know that I could alway's back the 70# down to 65# and shoot ,but just want to be sure that my bow will be at maximum efficiency.I've heard lot's of mixxed review's about this ,should I move to 70# or stick with 60#?

nubo
Old 05-17-2006, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Although my current bow is very smooth at 65-70 lbs. it definitely will be my last 70 lb. bow, mostly due to getting older. I almost bought a 60 lb. bow this year but maxed out at 61, it just seemed too easy. Being old school and a past finger shooter I prefer having more weight at full draw. From now on they will all be 60 pound bows.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

From now on they will all be 60 pound bows.
me too.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

For spots and FITA, I like a 60lb bow, but at that draw weight it is critical in my opinion and for my shooting style to have 65% letoff with a decent valley to get the holding weight I prefer. I still like 70lbs for 3D and hunting because the shots are so far between 70lbs doesn't give me a problem at all. I have a new Liberty bow though that I plan to hunt with a little bit this year that is in 60lbs.

Quick Reply: regret going to 70lbs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.