Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fletching: Offset vs. Helical >

Fletching: Offset vs. Helical

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching: Offset vs. Helical

Old 04-13-2006, 08:54 PM

Default RE: Fletching: Offset vs. Helical

pay attention to what redline said so you get your terminology correct (if that's important to you). the clamp sets the helical, you control the offset.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, from what i under stand the helical fletching would be better for hunting purposes? More stablized flight w/ broadheads out to 35yds( farther than I care to shoot) but is this a more difficult set-up for the beginner and do you think that they would put helical fletching on at the shop or is this a do it yourslf proposition only? Is it better to shoot w/ feathers?
Old 04-14-2006, 06:42 AM

I use a full right helical. When your arrows hits the target you points do not come unscrewed.
I also like using large fixed blade heads(150 gr. snuffers) . Full right helical with feathers, 4 degree offset with the Blazers.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chupa, those are somebad a** looking arrows. I like you choice of broadhead!
Old 04-14-2006, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

pay attention to what redline said so you get your terminology correct (if that's important to you). the clamp sets the helical, you control the offset.
I definitely want to get the terminology correct. Thanks for pointing that out! It seems to me that not using a right helical would be pretty dumb. Why even use a left helical if the target points are going to come unscrewed...seems right would be the only way to go. I understand that back in the day, it use to make a difference, but now a-days, it seems right helical would be the only way to go.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

The only way that yo have to worry about your points coming unscrewed is if you don't tighten them down enough. Every arrow I have ever shot, left/right offset or helical will unscrew the points if you don't take the time to make them more than finger tight. For target points I use a pair of channel locks to get that last bit of torque on the tips, for BHs, use a BH wrench. This is the ONLY way they will stay tight.

If you think about it, your arrow only makes 4-5 revoloutins on its way to a target 20 yards away. After the shot, it spins up slowly, thus the only time the tip loosens is during impact with the target.....and then only a little bit (normally < 1/8 of a turn). Put a dab of string wax on the threads of your points and things will stay tight much better (even if you only finger tighten them)

If yoiu are shooting a mech head, you will find that many of them will actually perform better shooting a left helical because of where the pressure point is for the blade on the ferrule, although this is only marginally better.

There is no correct answer with respect to what direction you spin your arrows.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:08 AM

The most important thing in regard to helical fletching direction is to make sure the clamp you are using matches the feather's wing: LH for Left wing feathers, RH for right wing feathers. For vanes it doesn't matter with the exception of NAP Quickspins and they recommend straight offset over helical, but mine are fletched RH and work great (with the exception of the durability issue).
Old 04-14-2006, 11:22 AM

Another thing I have thought about, is shooting though the whisker bisquit. I dont think the helicals would work. Correct me if Im wrong.I use a slight off set on my feathers and I use a biscuit.It works fine. As long as my arrow flies true, with no fishtailing.I sticking with the slight offset. If I was using a fallaway rest I might try the helical fletching. I dont like dropaway rests however. When the moment of truth comes, I dont want to worry about my arrow on the rest,when Im concentrating on a buck deer under my tree.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:51 AM

With a T-4 turbonock your arrow spins like a turbine. If you fletch them with a left helical/offset broadheads will come unscrewed in flight. You won't notice the effect until you go to pull a broadhead from a target. With a regular nock the broadhead comes straight out, the t-4's make a spiral cut, you can't pull the arrow straight out.
Yeah BobCo19-65 those are some wicked heads !
Old 04-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK...I am going to get my own fletching jig and I am thinking about getting the Arizona EZ fletch with a right 6 degree helical. Can I use this on blazer vanes? I don't know just enough about fletching my own arrows to get me in trouble, so I would like to know if the EZ fletch will do the job on such a small vane...

Quick Reply: Fletching: Offset vs. Helical

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.