Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question about riser blocking sight >

Question about riser blocking sight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about riser blocking sight

Old 03-30-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Question about riser blocking sight

I finally found a sight that I like on my bow.

I had it shooting decent, but went to the pro shop to have my pull pounds increased, and while I was therehe adjusted my rest and my sight.

After he adjusted it, to get it "3rd Axis Level", the sight was behind my riser! I told him about it and he said that it was normal. I said "Normal!?! Not seeing my whole sight it normal? Doesn't that hurt accuracy?"

He said all Mathews are like that, the riser is just in the way- no matter what sight you have.

Until now, I really trusted this guy, but this just doesn't sound right to me! Am I supposed to see mywhole sight housing or not??!!!??!!

I don't like "guessing" where the housing is.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:42 PM

Default RE: Question about riser blocking sight

I'm not quite certain I understand the problem you're having. Can you see the pins clearly?
Old 03-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a ittle in the dark, too. What are you saying? Is the sight too high or too far right (right handed bow)? If the sight is too high then I'd say you need to raise your anchor point so that the sight can be lowered.
If the sight is too far right then I'd have to assume that the rest may be too far right also. Check the centershot---right after you find someone else to work on the bow.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:12 PM

Sorry- I'll explain a little better...

My sight is good up and down. It's too far to the right. (It isa Right handed bow). It's so far right, that my sight housing is blocked by the riser when I'm drawn back.

Here's a bad example :

The ( ) is the sight; and the [] is the riser...

Normal sight: ( ) [] (riser is beside the sight housing)

My sight is too far right: ([]) (riser is blocking the sight housing)

My riser is blocking my sight housing. I can see the pins, but not the whole housing.

I've had two bow guys check the center shot. They both said it was where it needed to be.

I'm trying to figure out how to post pics... until then this crappy example will have to do!!!! LOL. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-30-2006, 03:23 PM

I had some troubles with that as well. What sight are you using? I adjusted my anchor, which I was never fully comfortable with anyway, and voila! Not only did that fix the sight issue, I was suddenly shooting much better. Go figure. [8D]
Old 03-30-2006, 04:05 PM

I'm using a Spot Hogg Hunter 5-pin
Old 03-30-2006, 04:37 PM

If center shot is set properly my next question is; are the pins extended too far? If you retract the pins it should allow the sight body to be moved out, but probably not enough to be able to see the whole pin housing. [Forgot, the Spot Hog has a center wire, never-mind] Otherwise, I don't really see it as a tremendous problem as long as you can see the pins.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:45 PM

Thanks Kokiak. I'll mess around with it and see if I can figure anything out.

I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am pretty sure I understand what you are saying.
If the center shot is fine,then its an easy,quick fix.
Put an arrow on the string,hold the bow as though you are going to shoot it.Now look down the arrow lining it up with the string.This should also meet with the pins,all lined up perfectly.
Try that and see what happens.If the arrow isn't lined up with the pins and string,then move the sight housing to the left to get it right.This will get you in the ball park.Hope this helped and understandable.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:42 PM

Thanks extreme- I'll try it in the morning!

Quick Reply: Question about riser blocking sight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.