Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question about rests >

Question about rests

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about rests

Old 03-20-2006, 01:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default Question about rests

Hi all!

I'm not a nog technical guy, but I was wondering why the drop away type rests and the whisker biscuit rests are so popular. I assume they are better? I'm still using a TM hunter and wonder about the advantages of these others.

TIA!

GH
Old 03-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question about rests

Drop aways are nice because you don't have to worry about any contact with your arrowsvanes on therest when you shoot so they are more forgiving for shooters.Plus you get really good arrow flight out of drop aways.The wiskers are very practical for some hunters, you throw them on when hunting and never have to worry about your arrow falling off your rest at any time. I don'tlike the biskut my opinion though.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:11 PM

Shooting a drop away has allowed me to go to full helical fletching without worry about rest contact. Full helical = better broadhead stabilization = greater effective range, therefore, drop away = greater effective range. I'm with tschammel on the biscuit but some people really like them.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:23 AM

I really like the Bisquit. We only stalk and hunt and our bows take a beating. So we need things that can take the abuse. Parts are really solid.
I also shoot with fingers so the bisquit works well.
But most of all I like being able to have my arrow in the rest and not worrying about it making a loud sound falling of the rest(scared game, happened) or bouncing aroud while walking. Though some say walking around with a arrow nocked on your bow isnt a good idea.[]
Old 03-22-2006, 06:48 AM

Both are great rests. Mostshooters who use the Whisker Biscuit do sobecause they like the fact that the arrow cannot fall off the rest once the arrow is placed in the biscuit. It is a “nock it and forget it” mentality. Those who use the drop away like it because once you release the arrow, the rest falls away allowing the arrow to depart the bow without its vanes touching anything, thus no friction to slow the arrow. A few draw backs to a drop away rest is that it makes the bow a lot less forgiving and they are a little hard to get adjusted correctly. If your bow is tuned and adjusted correctly, you will be able to shoot tacks with it. If your bow is not tuned or adjusted correctly, you will play hell trying to get your arrows to group. A few of the newer drop-away rests now incorporate the ability to capture the arrow so it cannot fall off the rest. It comes down to a preference issue. I would say, shoot both styles and decide for yourself which one you like.

Death From Above
Old 03-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Dropaways make your bow more forgiving not less forgiving! Thats the whole point of drop away, no contact less movement of your arrows, thus more forgiving.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am currentlytesting the Deluxe Whisker Bisquit on my newHoyt VTEC. The last two years I used the NAP Quicktune 2000 dropaway on my MagnaTec for hunting. The rest performed as expected with no problems or malfunctions. Having said that, I was always worried something would happen with that rest at the worst possibletime. I decided to give the Whisker Bisquit a try, mainly because of the simplicity and the arrow containment abilities for hunting. Set up time was maybe 15 minutes andso farseems accurate. It has been my experience thus far that the Bisquit is less forgiving than a drop away. This may be a good thing for me though, as it forces me to concentrate on proper form. It's too early to say whether or not I will hunt with this rest or not. I really like the Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter and the Trophy Ridge Drop Zone, so I have a sneakin suspicion that I will install one or both on my bow just to play around with.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grasshopper13

Hi all!

I'm not a nog technical guy, but I was wondering why the drop away type rests and the whisker biscuit rests are so popular. I assume they are better? I'm still using a TM hunter and wonder about the advantages of these others.

TIA!

GH
I like the drop away rests due to the zero contact with fletching. Besides, I shoot feathers and the whisker buscuits rip the feathers apart!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Spike

I don't use either, somthing I've read about the W/B is that if you use armor all on it that it reduces flech friction. and is supposed to dry odorless, Like I said, don't use one can't swear on it, but if it truly dries ordorless, seems to be sesible that it would be a great help on friction...
Old 04-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are basically two types of shooters that use a Whisker Bisquit. Those who can shoot and those who can't. Those who can't use them because they keep your arrow from falling off the rest, and that's about the only reason. If you are basically a treestand hunter and can't keep your arrow on a rest then the problem is not the rest, but that you can't control the draw cycle of the bow as you draw it, which usually means too much draw weight.

Those who can shoot understand that a full containment rest (WB) can be less accurate due to the fact that it does indeed contain the arrow till it passes through. Therefore if the bow moves at all the arrow has to go with it. That means a good follow through is more important; not that it isn't important anyway.

Also to be considered is what your definition of accurate is. Pie plates at 30 yards is not what I or many others consider accurate. In fact not even at 50 yards.

Frankly, I'd say that if you have no clearance issues with your present rest you will gain nothing by changing. The biggest gainers will be the bow shop and manufacturers of whatever rest you happen to choose.

Quick Reply: Question about rests

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.