Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 FOC question (....again) >

FOC question (....again)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FOC question (....again)

Old 03-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default FOC question (....again)

Good evening guys...

I was just reading an internet article about arrows, FOC, and the kinetic energy.

I got curious and took one of my Beman ICS Hunter 340's and found the balance point on a nail(took me a bunch of tries, but I got it balanced!) Then I measured from that balance point to the inside of the nock. Then according to the internet site, I used this mathmatical calculation:

18 7/16" balance point (converted to decimal - 18.4375)
29" Beman ICS arrow

18.4375 / 29 - .50 X 100

My current FOC with a Beman ICS Hunter 340 arrow and a 125 grain tip came out to be: 13.57!

Isn't that just a tad heavy for an arrows FOC? I am curious about dropping down to 100 grain tips. With a 67# bow @ 29" draw shooting Beman ICS Hunter carbon arrows at 29" length, I could try 100 grain tips right? They might give me a touch more speed is all though. What do you think?

Old 03-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: FOC question (....again)

I wouldn't call that a tad heavy, just the opposite, sounds like a great setup....dropping to 100 grain heads won't pick up that much speed, not enough to be relavant. Isn't the least FOC one would want is 10%....your in great shape.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, Rob... [8D]

My Beman ICS 340's are 9.3 grains/inch so the shaft weighs 270grains. Add in the fletchings, nock, adapter, and tip, and I'm shooting roughly a 440 grain arrow out of a 67# bow with a 29" draw length. I guess the 125 grain tips are the best for the setup.

Old 03-14-2006, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are accurate with them I would not worry , foc is overrated as a whole . The one drawback I have noticed with a big foc number is your arrow trajectory starts looking like a rainbow when your arrows are very "nose heavy" . Again if you shoot fine at the distances you are comfortable with I would change nothing , better to be concerned with the monkey behind the string , and get yourself intune , you are the most critical part of the equasion .
Old 03-16-2006, 09:25 AM

FOC is a topic that gets much debate! In my honest opinion a FOC in the range of 9-14 will serve most archers well!!