Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fletching Problems >

Fletching Problems

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching Problems

Old 03-05-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Fletching Problems

Hope someone out there can help me out. I've been trying to replace the fletching on some of my arrows. I shot through the fletching of several while practicing. I use a BPE Pro Force fletching jig and have tried several different adhesives including Flecth-tite, Bond-Tite and most recently Steel Force adhesive in conjuntion with their 'Beyond Clean' arrow cleaner and glue accelerator. But, it seems that no matter what I try, I end up adhesive with bubbles oozing out of the side of the fletching base that dries in clumps. Can anyone explain what I need to do to get the super smooth fletching installation that I get from my pro shop?
Old 03-05-2006, 04:13 PM

Default RE: Fletching Problems

Hey man I don't know how much glue you use,but if it's comming out of the vane base then your putting on to much. I run a part-time archery shop from my home. I use a bitzenburger jig and goat tuff glue made by tim's archery. I run a tiny bead, about 1/3 the width of the base, down the center of the vane or feather shove it to the arrow shaft and let it set for a couple of seconds. by the way the only thing I use to clean the shafts with is denatured alcohol. I can usually fletch a dozen arrows in 30 to 40 min.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

put less glue on the arrow, and then after removing from press, wipe a acetone soaked q-tip down the length of each side of every vane to remove excess glue.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

One thing I didn't hear you say, was prepping your shafts and vanes.. I use 400 grit sand paper or some steel wool, then clean them with alcohol and then wipe off dry with a clean cloth.. I scuff the vane with my dremel tool or sand paper, and never had a problem.. I use Martin fletching glue or Bohning Fletch Tite and no problems.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:42 PM

I've been using the Steel Force spray cleaner because I also use a brightly covered wrap on my arrows prior to fletching.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:05 PM

i have my best luck cleaning carbons with water.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rev is absolutely correct ,just take a very fine paper and scuff a small portion of your shaft where the fletching's will be placed. Then clean it off with an alchohol before you apply your fletching's. It's easy to apply too much glue ,so just take a cloth with alchohol on it and wipe it doen the edge where the excess glue is ,just don't soak the rag ,a little bit will do the job.

nubo
Old 03-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

One thing I didn't hear you say, was prepping your shafts and vanes.. I use 400 grit sand paper or some steel wool, then clean them with alcohol and then wipe off dry with a clean cloth.. I scuff the vane with my dremel tool or sand paper, and never had a problem.. I use Martin fletching glue or Bohning Fletch Tite and no problems.
Yepper, I use steel wool and hot water on shaft then rinse it with hot water for awhile, and make sure you dont touch the area with your hand. Then I use like 90% alcohol and let it evaporate. Then I wrap the arrow and then clean the wrap with alcohol. Then as someone said a small strip of glue, then wait a couple minutes, sometimes 5 to make sure it sets.....guess I could go faster, but no hurry. Then rotate and next fletch and then wait, then last. After I remove it from the jig, dab at end of each tip to ensure no peel offs and set to go. Haven't had one come off yet! [8D]
Old 03-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

i also rough mine up a bit with sandpaper and then wipe them with denatured alcohol and i have no problems here but less glue will definatly help.....
Old 03-07-2006, 06:27 AM

You can take a wooden toothpick and run it down the sides of the vane, then wipe the excess on a paper towel.

Quick Reply: Fletching Problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.