Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Never heard of this >

Never heard of this

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Never heard of this

Old 03-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Default Never heard of this

Did a search here on string wax and to my amazement read a couple of posts that stated to wax everything....including the part of the string that goes around the cams. First time I have ever heard this or read this, and I don't do it. The only part of the string I wax is the string itself, just my opinion but I don't recommend putting wax on any part of the string/serving that wraps around the cams/wheels? Opinions?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Never heard of this

I have never heard of that either.

If the serving is tight like it should be then the wax isn't going to penetrate into the individual strands any how and the wax that was on the strands when the string was made isn't going to get worn away like it does on the exposed strands.

So, no I do not wax my serving arond the cams. I do use a little wax on the center serving though just becasue it takes a lot of handling and wear.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:26 AM

I had a good friend who did this god rest his soul. (33 years old hit by drunk driver 2 pm broad day light as he was walking down the road with his dog.)
He did it because he hunted in the rain a lot & found his string
lasted a lot longer.
Never tried it my self but it makes sence to me as the wax water proofs .
Old 03-03-2006, 05:22 AM

while you guys may have never heard of it, and don't believe it works, bcy advises it, specially with 452x because its so thin. it will do no good unless you're using a wax - and i suggest bcy-ml6, that has silicon in it. according to the folks who make the material and the wax the silicon will seep thru the serving and into the string underneath to keep the fibers conditioned. its not something you would need to do more than once every couple months, and you don't need to lay it on thick.
i do it on my own bows every once in a while. as the serving is also made of the same materials the string is madeof (weird huh), it will also keep the serving material conditioned and make it last longer.

also,when applying a quality silicon wax to todays materials -its not like the old days. just put it on gently with your fingers. you can wipe it off with leather or a paper towel, but don't rub it in with either, and don't getthe string hot. you don't even have to get it warm. the silicon will seep in. if you heat the string with friction you are actually meltingthe wax, and the wax that was in the center of the string is moving towards the surface. yes, its different than the olddays, and disagree all you want, i don't care - you're wrong.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

yes, its different than the olddays, and disagree all you want, i don't care - you're wrong.
I get the feeling that you feel strongly about this issue.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:15 AM

yes i do, and its because when talking to folks making orders i'll hear
'well, i tried 452x and it fuzzed up pretty quick.' i ask them what type of wax they use and how they apply it and its always the same answer:
'i use the cheap textite, put it on, and then rub it in real good until the string gets hot with a piece of leather.' this won't tear up 8125 as bad, but it will tear it up also.

the best way is when you want to wax - put it on after shooting gently, and then wipe off the excess gentlybefore you want to shoot next time.this will give your string/cable time to soak up whatever it can stand.
if you do it like this, you can take the string/cable off the bow and you won't believe how soft itis. its like silk. i should have left the 'you're wrong' part off, but my horse stopped by and i got on like an idiot.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:19 AM

Gibblet,

First off you just answered alot of the questions I had. After getting my string from you, which you did an awesome job on, I was wondering not only which wax to use but also how to apply it. I must admit that I am one of those guys that really rubs in the wax. Obviously this is wrong. And just last night I was looking at different string waxes on Lancaster Archery and did see they had the bcy-ml6. I will be picking that up.

Thanks for the info

kpsingleton
Old 03-03-2006, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeez, Coug... Hoyt recommended waxing the servings around the cams when they first came out with the AIM system. That was what... 1988? What rock have you been hiding under all this time?

Gibblet... If all you're counting onto keep the strands from abrading against each other iswhatsilicone can seep down into the center of thestring,and not the wax, why not just spray your string with silicone lube? It's cheaper than that crappy silicone wax and, since it's liquid, seems like it'll seep into the string better.

I follow your logic about heating the string up. Since the string is under so much tension, the strands will squeeze the warmed up wax out of the string. That's why about every4th or 5thtime I waxed my string, I'd press the bow down a bit, just to loosen the strands, so I could physically work wax deep inside the string andaroundthe strands.

I'd still rub the string with leather and burnish the surface wax though, mostly to help keep moisture and grit out of the string. Stuff like you'd get into if you were shooting in wet or dusty conditons.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:21 AM

well, as you can tell kev, my strings come with enough wax for about a year LOL (and sometimes cat hair too -but i don't charge extra for that)
Old 03-03-2006, 07:39 AM

John,

I did notice that When I took it out of the packaging I couldn't believe how much wax was on that sucker. Needless to say I was able to just put it on and I did notice that the wax was not just on the bowstrings, that it was on the serving as well.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Never heard of this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.