Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Scott Lil Goose and string loop >

Scott Lil Goose and string loop

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Scott Lil Goose and string loop

Old 02-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default Scott Lil Goose and string loop

Haven't been shooting this release long but I like the feel and the "smallness". Anyway, never really paid attention to it before but this release does not close to the extent that the jaw is touching the other side, there is about 1/16" of an inch(maybe slightly less) when closed. What concerns me is using it with my new loop. I've shot it but it makes me nervous as it seems perhaps the loop could be pinching within that gap slightly causing premature wear on the string loop. My Carter Lockjaw release closed tight(as in no gap), won't work with a loop though....its basically a shoot-off-the-string release due to its wide jaw.

Question........do all Scott releases have this tiny gap or is something not quite right with the tolerance of mine? I see no adjustment for this........only for amount of pressure and length of barrel .
Old 02-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scott Lil Goose and string loop

Mine has a little gap in it also and I shot a loop and have so far had no problem.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:24 PM

if you make it less of a hair trigger will the gap close?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:06 PM

You've got a 'gap' in yours? Man, that is BAADDDDD!!!!!

JUST KIDDING....
Old 02-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

You've got a 'gap' in yours? Man, that is BAADDDDD!!!!!

Dang it Len, don't scare me like that![&:] Glad I scrolled down. Must be nothing to be concerned with then, just am used to the Carter jaw being completely closed. For the record, I was thinking of trying a Scott Sabertooth, Scott Wildcat, or the Carter 2 shot, but the Lil Goose is growing on me.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:30 AM

You might also want to take a look at the Scott Rhino. It will scare you at first because it's not a 'closed jaw' design - it did me.

Anyway, the neat feature about these 'loop' designs with the open hook, is that you can attach your release without having to look down at it or the string. I find it very convenient in dark surroundings (enclosed blind hunting) and when I don't want to take my eyes off the deer in dense areas.

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:37 PM

The new Rhino with the hook isn't as scary as the old Rhino with the bar.. My pro shop had one and I borrowed it for a day of shooting once when I left my caliper style release at home. Liked it so much I bought one of the newer ones.. I think it is a terrific release..
Old 02-19-2006, 06:29 PM

I've shot the little goose release with a string loop since approx 2001 and had zero problems with it.

I know that doesn't answer your specific question but the little goose with the string loop does the trick for me.

I *think* I have the small gap like you're talking about but not sure.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

You might also want to take a look at the Scott Rhino. It will scare you at first because it's not a 'closed jaw' design - it did me.

I bought the jim fletcher version of that release. Takes a little getting used to the idea of not having another jaw, but I like the release a lot. The head cups real nice in the curve of my finger and like len said, you can hook it on without even looking at the string.