Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 To light of a arrows and limb damage? >

To light of a arrows and limb damage?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

To light of a arrows and limb damage?

Old 02-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default To light of a arrows and limb damage?

Hey everyone just a few questions.I have been on the kick of finding a faster bow.Well that was the easy part(sort of) I settled on a 2006 Bowtech Tribute with 70-80 lb draw set up at 29 inches.Well I was going to shoot Gold-Tip UL Pro 400@ 28.5 w/3.5 inch duravanes.That should net me around 342 grains with 85 grain broad head.Should put me up around 330 FPS @ 78# draw(I think).

Now what got me is I've been looking for a new sight for it(bow) and I came across Archers choiec's web site and they have these nifty looking 55 gr BH.Well as I was looking at where to find some I came accross Carbon revelutions web site.They claim with their arrows and these 55 gr BH they achive 342 FPS with a arrow that weigh in at 250 gr@ 30 in. and 70 lb draw.They achivie over 13 inches of penetration.Now when is ti light and when are going to damage your bow.How light canI go,my pro shop guy tells me that with the new bows out there you can go 300-250 gr arrows and not hurt your bow.Is he just blowin smoke or what?
Opinons anyone?
BBJ
Old 02-09-2006, 01:58 PM

Default RE: To light of a arrows and limb damage?

First off don't do it!!!!A 342 grain arrow at 78 pounds is wasy under IBO at 4.3 grains perpound and Bowtech only warranties your bow at 5 grains perpound.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:59 PM

At 78 lbs don't go below 390 grains of arrow weight. It will still be warranteed and it minimizes the risk that you will damage your new bow. We pay alot for these new bows and it's not a good idea ruining them by shooting too light an arrow. Plus I think those .400 spine Goldtip's are way underspined for your set-up.

If you go with the .340 spine you get a total arrow weight of around 400 gr. and a FOC of 10.6%. Plus you would still get over 300 fps with your set-up.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:12 PM

80 pound bow...HOLY SMOKES!!! I always saw these advertised, but never knew anybody who shot one.

You already got some good minimum numbers from the other posts, but if that was my bow and I was going to use itfor hunting, this is what I would do:

Go straight to the .300 spine arrow and never look back, even with your draw length. Yes .340 spine would work, but at 78 pounds I believe you will have better accuracy from a .300 spine arrow.

6.3gpp would be my goal with arrow weights no lower than 450 grains with a prefered arrow weight of 490 grains. 80 pounds man oh man! Hold on!!!
Old 02-09-2006, 04:30 PM

some folks in the know are telling me those bows like their spine a little weak.. but anyway, on to this speed thing....
why? are you hunting road runners?

there is some company out there, a guy who used to post here a lot shot their bows, and always under 5 grains per pound - and i think they warranty under 5 grains per pound. i'm thinking high country, but i could be wrong. you may want to figure that out though.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

If you follow your particular pro shop's advice you are asking for trouble. Might as well be dry firing your bow.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys I'm not trying to hurt my bow,thats why I'm asking this stuff befor I set it up and start spending money on arrows,points and stuff.
My goal is I wan't to shoot 320 FPS,why? It's a beef between my brother-in-law and me.
I thought that arrow weight was a little lite also thats why I'm asking,but here's this Jimmy(Bro-in-law) is shooting a mathews Switchback(05) 74 lb draw,29 in draw 27.75 in arrows @ 310 something.His arrows weigh in at 321 gr's.I'm shooting now same bow 28 inch draw 400 gr arrow at 280 ish.

I just want to know how I can achive the 320 mark with this set up.Bowtech Tribute,Rip-cord rest,arrows unnamed,and point weight.
Can you guys help me out.Plus I do want to use it for hunting,but not at the exspense of damiging the bow.
Please help.
BBJ
Old 02-09-2006, 04:59 PM

if i where you i would go with a heavy arrow. figure out how heavy it can be and still shoot in the 280fps range,that is by far a lot faster then you'll need and you will get a lot more KE.

also shooting a heavier arrow will quiet your bow
Old 02-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Are you and your brotherinlaw trying to see who is the last one standing?
Old 02-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd like to suggest at least putting an STS on your bow to help prevent so much shock in the limbs, plus you could then take off any and all string silencers, which would help gain a few fps! I think the STS would be a big help in preventing limb damage in your case!
I've got a good friend who is a speed freak. He is shooting his Mathews SB with very lite arrows and is well over 300 fps! I can't remember exactly, but his arrows are way under the recommended 5 gr./# of pull!

Quick Reply: To light of a arrows and limb damage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.