Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Can I change a bow string & cables myself? >

Can I change a bow string & cables myself?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can I change a bow string & cables myself?

Old 01-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Can I change a bow string & cables myself?

I've been trying to get some of the local shops to order me a string and cables for my Hoyt Raider Powerflex with no luck. These shops are the worst here and I'm tired of waiting around while I'm shooting a bow that needs new strings. I bought the thing on Ebay and it probably has the originals on it.

I'm thinking about buying one of those portable bowpresses for about $40 and just taking some pictures of my cams and then just attempt to do this myself. This will follow after I've had someone make me the strings of course. I've lost complete confidence in my local shops and now I want to do everything to my bow myself. Of course I'll still need the local pro shop to cut arrows, but that's all they are good for.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can I change a bow string & cables myself?

Contact gibblet here on the forum he will do you a good deal on a set of string and cables.

As for cutting arrows get the Harbor Frieght mini cut off saw, it does a great job and costs under $30
Old 01-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

They charge $6/dz at the local pro shop and the guy that does it says that the cutter is running at something like 700 rpm's. He makes it sound like a big deal to have arrows cut with the correct tool for the job. I'll probably attempt to cut arrows at a later time, but right now I'm loosing sleep about getting a new string and cables[X(]. Are those portable bow presses worth a crap or not?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

marine,

Absolutely you can... If you've got enough common sense to make it through Marine boot, changing a string is no big deal!

And... After finally starting to use quality strings myself this past year, I can honestly say that every archer owes it to himself to buy a nice after-market set and replace the junk that most companies put on their bows.

BowTech is one of the few I know who put after-market quality strings on the bows they sell, and I've heard good things about the strings on the new Switchback XT; before that model came out, you probably couldn't have bought worse strings from a manufacturer. That's not bashing; that's experience. I shot them for six years.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are those portable bow presses worth a crap or not?
That depends on what one it is.

I have a portable press that was made by Walks With A Gimp it is a great press but I dont know if he is making them anymore.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

marine pride
Pick up a bowmaster press, plus I believe you'll need the split limb adapters for a hoyt, total should run you around 50$. Then order a set of strings from gibblet, and you'll be shooting new high quality strings in no time. ANd once you have the press you can do adjustments and work on your bow anytime you please.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

Are those portable bow presses worth a crap or not?
That depends on what one it is.

I have a portable press that was made by Walks With A Gimp it is a great press but I dont know if he is making them anymore.

If you were a nice guy Russell you would mail your press to Marine Pride.. Come on show that Aussie generosity...

Old 01-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen them and they are slick, but my understanding is he does not sell them anymore. I use the Bowmaster myself and it also works fine. Get one and then you can do all kinds of tuning and maintenence without relying on others.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can get your string and cable lengths, you can get them made fairly easily.

As far as presses, they all pretty much work. I havethe WWAG press, and it works flawlessly. I've gotton desperate in the field and made a "press" by placing two strong sticks on the outside edge of each limb and used a treestand ratchet strap to draw them closer. I put a t shirt under the sticks as to not scratch the bow. Was it safe? seemed like it. would i recommend it? only in an emergency, because something could definitly happen. Just keep those fingers away from the string groove - that goes for all presses!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

...but I dont know if he is making them anymore.
I can tell you with certainty he is not. I have even offered to pay him more than his asking price when he was selling them to get one... so far, no dice. And it ain't like he doesn't have the time; he's one of the few guys who spends more time on the boards than I do!

Quick Reply: Can I change a bow string & cables myself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.