Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Looking for advice on improving KE! >

Looking for advice on improving KE!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Looking for advice on improving KE!

Old 01-05-2006, 07:02 PM

Default RE: Looking for advice on improving KE!

No. Unless you increase your draw lenght, but that's not a good idea either. I would find the happy medium, shoot a heavier arrow slower and increase your KE. I don't know what poundage you are pulling now, but 51 pounds of KE is good. Ideally, you want your KE slightly higher than your pull weight, indicating you are achieving maximum efficiency.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the replies. I wish we all could make perfect shots everytime in the sweet spots, but unfortunately I can't. I occasionally will pull an arrow. I did decide to back my bow back down to 60 lbs as I just couldn't pull the 65 comfortably without it creeping on me.

I went to my local pro shop this pm and we tinkered around with my arrow and setup to give me the best bang for my buck per say. what I found worked was a few simple things after we toyed with all different combo's of nocks, fletchings, and crest wraps.

my final combo is a 27.5 inch gold tip pro ultra light arrow, turbo nock, 4 inch fletching, and a metalic reflective crest, 100 grain head to give me a grand total of 349 grains. At 60lbs draw where I was, my arrow speed decreased to 260 fps but my KE increased to 52.3 lbs. any more weight and my arrow speed dropped off fast or any more lbs draw and I couldn't hold my bow comfortably. we increased my arrow wt by 35 grains total by going to a heavy crest and larger fletchings. I will still use the 1 inch slick trick bh 100 grain. This is the best that I can do for my setup IMO. What do you guys think. My goal was to increase my KE while maintaining a speed of 255 or more as it enables me to use a one sight out to 30 yards. I sight in at 25 yards and it shoots one inch high at 15, dead on at 25 and two inches low at 30 yards. thanks for the response. abh.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to look at the razorcap broadheads. They are a well built 3 blade cut on contact blade. If you cannot get the ke that you want, it all falls on broadhead preformance. The two blade designs will work the best as stated, however the 3 blade coc will offer better blood trails IMO. I took 4 different animals with the razorcaps this year, and every animal was a pass through with no problem. I shot the bull elk on a hard quartering too me shot and the arrow squirted out the opposite flank after going in and clipping a portion of the scapula. It was damn near an end to end shot. I wouldn't reccomend that shot with 52.lbs of energy on an elk, but the head did what it was supposed to.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:22 AM

In my opinion, messing with your arrow to eek out a couple more foot pounds is not wise. The arrow should be designed to fly perfectly straight. Your draw weight should be set to match your arrow's ideal spine. An arrow that hits a deer without all the energy going straight forward, will not penetrate nearly as well as one flying perfectly. This is why penetration can be increased from shooting an arrow with a higher FOC, with helical feathers. Ideally, you don't build an arrow for speed or higher KE. In my opinion, it should be built for the best possible flight with a fixed blade broadhead on it.

One of the most important aspects to penetration is super sharp broadheads. Most are not what I'd call super sharp out of the package. Something like a 2-bade Magnus Stinger will also give slightly better penetration. A key that I've found is to learn to touch-up broadheads. They are easily dulled by simply pulling them in and out of a quiver. Taking practice shots dulls them instantly, no matter what the target material.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

straight arrow, I am pulling more than 7 grains per inch and my arrows are flying great. I am hitting a coke can bottom per say out to 40 yards consistently. now when I added the wt tubes at 84 grains, my arrow flight really went bazerk as I think it softened the spine of the arrow. I am also using the 1 inch slick trick which is a fixed head blade. I just found it amazing that adding the 35 grains to my arrow, jumped my KE by 2.3. we all tune our bows for perfection, I didn't think that tuning an arrow to perform the best was a bad idea? thanks all for the imput.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Crank up your bow a few pounds if you can, use a heavier arrow, the broad head weight is good. Thats what I would do. If youre looking for KE and not speed a heavier arrow may help.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:23 AM

I don't think you are going to notice the extra 2 lbs of KE on game, but if YOU feel better that is the key. This is why I shoot very heavy arrows for my set up, I think they pack more down range punch. Yes they are slow, but at the ranges I hunt it doesn't matter.

I think you can get away with mechanicals, just depends on what brand you use. Spit Fires suck for lower KE setups. I use the Nail Drivers that heve two blades with a smaller cutting diameter and they work pretty well. As far fixed blades go I like the heads with the real small solid blades.

I really don't think it will matter what you do, you probably won't blow thru a shoulder with that set up. You don't have to get a pass thru to kill a deer though, it just makes tracking it easier in my opinion.

Paul
Old 01-06-2006, 09:36 AM

John,

As Paul said confidence is the real issue most of the time.

I don't thik there is anything wrong with you tinkering. That's how you will find out what works best for you. Don't get too carried away with the arrows though. Don't upset your FOC just to add a little weight and get a couple more ft/lbs of KE.

Like I siad though. There is nothing wrong with tinkering. Sitting back on the status quo teaches you nothing.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm using a heavy shaft for my 04 BowTech Patriot Dually,matching your arrow's is imparative .
I'm using Easton Axis's 340's as suggested for my setup and I find that these slim shaft's also give you deeper penetration ,but they're weighing in at 414gpi.
I also have to agree hitting bone won't help when it come's to a passthrough even with this setup .

nubo
Old 01-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with you guys on not passing thru on the direct shoulder hit no matter what I do as I cannot achieve much more KE than I have now. what it does do is make me feel a little better and give me a little more confidence than before. also, if I do get off again on a shot then maybe I will penetrate a more and maybe get a better more humane harvest. I agree with it doesn't take a pass thru to harvest an animal but it sure does make tracking em a lot easier as stated above. thanks for the many comments. I always learn from other people. I wish I had longer arms [:-]as I could generate more KE that way. I guess I need to get in a stretch machine [&:]

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on improving KE!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.